1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN ($149)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by CJScott, Sep 1, 2015.

1. CJScott

CJScott TalkEmount Regular

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    As my money supply is quickly diminishing due to my vintage lens obsession, I am having a hard time not pulling the trigger. It's manufacturer refurbished directly from Sigma with free shipping, but I've never had any trouble with refurbished products.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/30mm-f28-dn-a-refurbished

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    That's a good deal! As long as there's a factory warranty, well worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Go for it

4. CJScott

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    heheh
    Started to even mention it, and I got the look. So for now, I'll pass it up and settle on using my Canon FD 35mm f/2.8.
    I have the 19mm and I love it, for now however, I need to stop acquiring new stuff to use what I got.

5. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    OH the slippery slope you have joined. I too fell into the vintage lens addiction. I've acquired a small army of lenses (see my signature below) that thankfully arrive at my doorstep just before my husband gets home and just after I get home. It's easier to ask for forgiveness ;)
    Welcome and have fun!
    I myself fell in love with Macro photography. I love looking at a whole new microscopic world going on in front of our faces.

6. CJScott

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    Thank you...
    I too started hiding the shipping boxes, but as I am just like a little kid with a new toy, I can't help but to want to play with it as soon as I can, which always gives me away.
    And yes, macro is fascinating. I even came up with a back story for my newfound Grass spider friends I've made, Steve, Marta, and their now deceased cousin Behrouz. I caught Marta drying out after molting.
    21011486046_97d9c4b7e9_b. Steve and Marta

• Like Like x 5
  7. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Haha! See my hubby has no idea how to tell the difference between the lenses on my camera. He has no idea if it's new or not.
    Hey - we both work full time and can spend our "extra" like we want. There is an entire room in the basement devoted to his RC car obsession, so we're about even as far as I'm concerned. :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    The 30mm is a great lens, but my favourite is the 60mm. The three Sigmas form a outstanding set that's A BARGAIN. I talked about the chance to put these with an "old" NEX, last July in my blog. I have the trio with my NEX-7 and it's the perfect travel kit. (And, sure enough, the A6000 prices have dropped out of bed.)

A recent post in SonyAlpha Rumors pointed out how well the less expensive E-Mount lenses were selling on Amazon. This reminded me of the strength of the Sigma trio.

Sigma came to the E-Mount party with three lenses that form the classic primes kit: A wide 19mm f/2.8 (28mm equiv), a "standard" 30mm f/2.8 (45mm equiv) and a moderate telephoto 60mm f/2.8 (90mm equiv). These are all autofocus, but they're not stabilised and they're not super-fast. That's how Sigma kept the lid on the prices. (And they all share the same filter size - 46mm.)

I'm a prime guy, and a trio like this reminds me why. The kit zooms that we're used to seeing are slower and less sharp. They do, however, have stabilization. But think about this. The 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 kit zoom for the A6000 is f/5.6 at it longest (75mm equiv). The Sigma (at 90mm equiv) is f/2.8 and is one of the sharpest lenses you can get for a NEX camera. Talk about bang for your buck....

Yes, there are better primes, and some of them are stabilised; but they are usually twice the price or more.

But something else is happening. Many Sony users are moving to full-frame with the A7 series. And soon there will be a new A7000 (or whatever it might be called). This is going to mean a buyer's market in both new and used NEX-7s, NEX-6s and A6000s. Any of these outstanding ASP-C cameras linked to the Sigma trio will be a powerhouse kit for almost no money. (Well, okay, some money.)

For anyone who wants to do photography (but lacks an inheritance), I think this is a super opportunity.​

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Joseph Thekale

Joseph Thekale TalkEmount Regular

Aug 24, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Damn, what a shot. Never realized how sweet Macro photography can be. Thanks for giving me ideas fellow Michigander.

• Like Like x 1
  10. CJScott

Jul 15, 2015
    Clarkston, MI
    Carlos Scott
    Well I finally succumbed and bought the 30mm 2.8. I bought it on eBay from a Japanese seller. It's the older version, which is what I was looking for; I'm not liking what the metal is doing on my 19mm 2.8, and I had an eBay bucks certificate to use. I ended up getting it for about $120.
    Anyway, I'm here just to update however. It looks like Sigma outlet has the refurbished 30mm 2.8 for $149 and the 60mm 2.8 for $179. Bought directly from the store it's free shipping and fairly certain manufacturer warranty still applies. If I didn't already have the SEL5018 I would jump on the latter lens too.
    http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigma-outlet/shop-lenses?sigma_mount=12200

• Like Like x 1
  11. Claude B.

Claude B. New to TalkEmount

Dec 23, 2015
    ========================================
    I do have the 19mm also a great bargain in quality/price. My next one will be Sigma 60mm, perfect for portrait!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2