Sigma 30mm 2.8 Ex dn firmware update?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tillman, Jul 16, 2015.

1. tillman

tillman TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Hello all,

I recently bought a Sigma 30mm f2.8 EX DN from KEH and while the lens seems to be fine, it seems to really extend the startup time for my Nex 5t (takes 6-8 seconds). I contacted Sigma about this issue and after providing the serial # they responded that it needs a firmware update and provided a form to initiate the process of sending it in for this service.

Has anyone else gone through this process? More importantly, did it make a difference?

Thanks for any experiences you can offer!

-Tillman

2. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    No one has done this or knows someone who has? My lens should be arriving at Sigma on Monday, hoping the turn around time is short, I'm taking a vacation at the end of this month. I'll let everyone know the improvement if any.

3. metalmania

metalmania TalkEmount Regular

Dec 3, 2014
    USA
    Sigma knows their thing, it should be OK. I have the Art version and have no problems. I know the 35/1.4 Canon version had firmware 1.0 when it hit the market, then Sigma had a 2.0 update that could be done by using the Sigma USB dock, or sending back to get it updated.

4. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I loved the Sigma DN lenses on my NEX-6, but the startup was so excruciatingly slow, I ended up selling my trio. If the lenses can be sped up via FW, I might take another look at them.

5. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Yeah they make a good lens, no doubt, but I keep missing shots! I have high hopes for this firmware update. I was surprised because I stated up front I bought the lens used and they still offered to update it gratis. I appreciate a company willing to stand behind their work even if it doesn't mean added revenue. So far impressed with Sigma customer service. I'll report back after I get my lens back and let you know if there is any improvement.

6. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Keep us posted, I'd be interested to see if it makes a difference. Interestingly enough, the Sigma DN lenses startup a bit faster on Micro Four-Thirds, despite being a tad slower to start versus the native m43 glass.

7. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Something I noticed is that while the startup for my Nex 5t was excruciatingly slow, when I put it on an A6000 it took about half that at three seconds. I'm not sure if it's due to processor speed or just differences in how the camera recognizes the lens? I'm not familiar enough with electronics to formulate a legitimate theory.

8. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I received my lens back on Friday, and unfortunately the firmware update did not result in the 2-3 second startup time that the rep from Sigma said I should be getting from my camera. It may be a little faster but only by a second or two, 6 seconds seems to be about the average.

Despite the disappointing lack of any significant change, I am impressed with Sigma's customer service, they updated the lens gratis and shipped it back on their dime quickly. I sent it off on 7/16, there was a weekend and then it arrived to them on 7/20, they had it shipped out by 7/21 and I received it on 7/24. That's pretty quick service to me!

9. shotupdave

shotupdave TalkEmount Regular

Jul 22, 2014
    Torrance, CA
    Dave
    what changed in the firmware?

10. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Not sure really, I haven't noticed anything all that apparent. I thought maybe it was hunting for focus a little less in low light but I might just be trying to find something to attribute to the update. I'd say there's no changes that are apparent. I might contact Sigma and see if I can find out more info as far as what version of firmware I had and what it was updated to and what differences I should be seeing.

11. Alex_Apo

Alex_Apo TalkEmount Regular

Jul 18, 2015
    Cyprus
    There is firmware update for all sigma trio lens? Could be very helpful a change log!!

12. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    Follow up from Sigma is that they tested my lens on their Nex 5t and got the 2-3 second startup time promised and suggested the problem may be with my camera. I've got the latest firmware and every other lens I put on, the camera starts up within a normal period of time. I may just sell it and go back to a Sony A37 setup, it's bigger and I lose the wifi and touchscreen features I've come to enjoy but I can get a good normal prime for the same as what the Sigma 30mm cost me and everything I put on is stabilized due to IBS. Feeling a bit disappointed.

13. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Personally, 3-4 seconds more for start up time is not something that would bother me so much to change system but everybody have different expectations :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. tillman

May 28, 2014
    Keizer, Oregon
    Tillman
    I agree it seems ridiculous to switch due to having to wait a few more seconds, but I only recently switched from the A-mount system to an E-mount one and I'm beginning to feel I've given up more than I've gained, not just due to having to wait longer when using this one lens.

All that aside, I tested the lens on an A6000 today, I think that there was a noticeable change in the start up time. Before when I had tested it took about 3-4 seconds to start up, and post update that seems to be around 2-3 seconds. Not huge but worth noting.

• Like Like x 1