1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30/Sony 35 comparison

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Bimjo, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's some interesting comparison comments and photos that were posted over on Pentax Forums re: the Sigma 30 vs. the Sony 35. Might be useful for someone looking for an AF lens in this focal range.

Original post is here.

• Like Like x 1
  2. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Thanks mate, comprehensive information and very well detailed, in a way I'm very happy with the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 , but even I am tempted by the Sel 35mm f/1.8, a little more fast and OSS, so savings are continuing.

3. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    Thanks for sharing - that's the best and most relevant direct comparison I've seen so far. It seems clear to me that the Sigma 30 is just a bit sharper at the pixel level. I like it for that and for the slightly wider viewing angle.

But of course sharpness isn't everything. For candid shots in low light, an extra stop and a third plus OSS gives the SEL35 a pretty huge advantage.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree with you, it is worth spending a little more, and earn more in low light conditions, although at first glance I could not get to distinguish the differences between both lenses.

5. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Ooh, I did my own little comparison over at What's NEX..... sold my SEL 35mm And have kept the Sigma. Now, if it had been F1.4........ :)

6. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    That's interesting. How did you come to the decision?

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I think the SEL is a fantastic lens, but I have the Sigma 30, which is great, and many f1.8 and f1.4 legacies, so I didn't NEED it. I found that out and about with the kids at the park/soft play etc 1.8 was too shallow and the Sig filled the role. I only sold it yesterday afternoon, and just purchased a Fuji x100 LE a couple hours before, so it's all worked out perfectly. I can always purchase another copy should I feel the need later on. Just waiting on the postman now, with the Fuji :)

8. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Some for me!
    Love my Sigma 30 and the SEL35 is much to expensive for me right now...

9. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Well... bought the 30/1.8 three weeks ago when our newborn arrived.
    And I had to admit: It is definitely better than see Sigma which I sold.
    Some stops faster and the OSS make a huge difference in low light situations. But I know the price it quit heavy compared to the 50/1.8 bit that was to narrow for mecause I didn't want a portrait lens.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Would agree that overall the 35mm gives you some advantages, but it is hard to pass by a $100.00 lens.