1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30 2.8 w e mount and or fast, wide tele

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by lapdog99, Feb 20, 2012.

1. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    Shouldn't be too long before the new Sigma is available for $200 street price. It sounds like it might be a great lens for the money. Wish there was a fairly fast e with something in the 20-40 range. I guess I should look at legacy glass.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Sigma 19mm 2.8

Also Sigma 19mm 2.8 lens is coming this year. Both lenses are also used on their dp1m/2m cameras. From my experience from dp1/2, they should be pretty good esp now they have to support 15MP sensor that Sigma is putting in those cameras. Here is the link for 19mm:

19mm F2.8 EX DN - DN Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

3. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    thanks, I think you are right, with the crop factor, this would be a nice wide angle size and performance. It is funny, I wish I could simply afford to put 5Ns on each lens, legacy or e mount, and save time and dust exposure

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    In the old days, everyone carried spare bodies for this reason.

With the 5Ns small size fitted to dedicated lenses, they would all probably still fit inside your one camera bag!! lol

I'm liking what Sigma is doing. The 19mm interests me more than the 30mm... and the price-point looks promising. Pity they haven't come out with a 24mm... yet.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah the Sigma lenses are pretty compelling with it's size and prize - and the black plastic looks nice! But as they're just f/2.8 I think I'll be able to take a pass on them - the 24mm Zeiss fills the spot for a fast wide angle prime nicely. However, I think Sigma made quite a smart choice here - the Sony 30mm lens is slower, more expensive and not the best from a quality standpoint (1:1 macro isn't too important at this focal length for most people anyway) and the 19mm is a nice alternative for the Sony 16mm pancake.

6. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    It looks like the 30mm m43 version is already available at B&H and here is a review of the lens on m43:

Sigma 30mm F2.8

The size comparison shows that is a little bigger then the pancakes, smaller then regular Sony lenses. So it will make a small package option as long as they perform on nex'es.

7. iKBR

iKBR TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 29, 2012
    Tasmania, Australia
    The more lens options the better for the system.

Waiting on my Sony 50 1.8 at the moment, but it will be interesting to see how the Sigma glass performs.

Love the results I get with my Sigma 50mm Macron on the Canon 5D mk II

8. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I'm really looking forward to these. The Zeiss 24mm is way out of my budget (sigh), the 16mm is too wide, the 50mm is too long. Oh yeah, I don't need a macro. So that exhausts the available primes for me (which I prefer over zoom...)

I like both focal lengths here from Sigma, and assuming they are the same price will tilt towards whichever has better IQ.

9. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  10. madmaxmedia

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Here's a link to a gallery posted in that thread-
    http://sdrv.ms/xtocYc (goes to a Microsoft Skydrive gallery)

Not full size, but a couple of cropped photos that might be 1:1. Overall the lens looks better than I actually expected. I'm pretty sure I will be picking up the 30mm, and perhaps the 19mm down the road.

Here is a page with full sized images from M 4/3 version-
    SIGMA 30mm F2.8 EX DN - fWJWatch

This one at f/4-
    SIGMA 30mm F2.8 EX DN - fWJWatch

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Looks pretty nice as far as distortion and CAs are concerned. The only thing that puts me off is the not so pretty bokeh, but you can't have anything for less than 200. (It actually seems to get better at f/4, but there's not much bokeh to get anyways)

12. madmaxmedia

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
  13. serhan

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
  14. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    "Sigma has a bold claim that this lens does not need a hood due to its construction and the coatings..."

Judging from the OP's photos taken pointed towards the sun, I'm impressed.

15. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wow, these samples in the GetDPI Forums look actually pretty promising! Nice to see a cheaper, nicely designed (black!) lens from Sigma. :)