• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

sigma 30/2.8 rattle

jlabate

TalkEmount Regular
I just received my Sigma 30mm/2.8 from B&H and when off the camera the lens has a deep rattle when shaken, like something's loose inside. It seems to perform ok but is this normal for a Sigma lens? I've used many other brand auto-focus lenses and never had one rattle like this.

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
It is normal ... It is also mentioned in the literature from the manufacturer which came in the box with the lens. Everyone who bought this lens (including me) freaked out about it at first. It is just a side effect of the way Sigma designed the AF motor in the 30mm and the 19mm. When the lens is mounted and the camera is on it stops making the noise.

I am sure Sigma could have designed the 19mm and 30mm without this AF component rattle, but you only really hear it when the lens isn't mounted and it's hard to complain too much about a brand new lens with excellent sharpness that only costs $200.

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I guess it was a decision they made to keep the price down. Not too bad if it's not there when the camera is turned on. As long as it's not a super expensive lens, I wouldn't complain.

jlabate

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks. Nice to be assured it's normal. And once mounted on the camera, the rattle goes away.

Dioptrick

TalkEmount All-Pro
Maybe the rattle (when unmounted) has something to do with the characteristic it's new and unique motor?

"This lens benefits from a newly developed linear AF motor which moves the lens elements directly without the need for gears or the drive of other mechanical parts."

JJJPhoto

TalkEmount Regular
Yep, it is the linear AF. I agree that a rattling lens is weird and doesn't promote confidence in the build quality, but the performance of this lens is GREAT for a $200 lens. It is like that old business saying (which I am paraphrasing), "You can have the best performance, the best build/style, and the lowest price ... but you have to pick only two." ;)

jlabate

TalkEmount Regular
The rattle is easy enough to live with. I should have checked the manual but who reads manuals for lenses. And when I noticed the rattle, I didn't have the manual with me. The lens is a nice performer though. All the reviews about it being sharp corner to corner wide open are true. I like the focal length and love the price.

Latest threads

Top Bottom