1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sigma 30 1.4 vs. Mitakon 24 1.7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by DavidEdwardK, May 24, 2016.

1. DavidEdwardK

DavidEdwardK TalkEmount Rookie

May 24, 2016
    Anyone have any experience with these yet? Weighing my purchase options and would appreciate any input.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using TalkEmount app

2. DavidEdwardK

May 24, 2016
    Should mention that I primarily shoot architecture. The Sigma 30 2.8 is my most commonly used lens, but I like a wider shot, too, as long as the sharpness is there.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    If you shoot architecture, a wider lens than 30mm will be most welcome indeed. The step from 30mm to 24mm is fairly small and the fast aperture of the Mitakon isn't necessary as you will probably stop down quite a bit. I would opt for something wider, the Sigma E 2.8/19 for instance. The Sony E 16mm will be lacking in corner sharpness for this kind of work, and maybe the Sony E 20mm isn't good enough for that either, depending on your requirements. The Mitakon is listed at $349 in the US so I guess that's your budget and with that there aren't many other suitable options I know of. Unfortunately legacy lenses shorter than 24mm tend to be expensive and/or not great. If you're willing/able to spend more, I'd go straight away for the Sony E 4/10-18mm, that'll give you a lot of flexibility as well as good image quality (for a good copy, there's quite some sample variation).

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I have the Sigma 30/1.4 and am so far pleased with it. I've been very busy with work lately, so I haven't gotten to use it as much as I'd like. My impressions so far are that it is fairly sharp, even wide open. It's a little soft on the edges, but sharpens up when stopped down a bit. There may be a little curvature of field at play. And there's noticeable purple fringing in some situations. But overall, a good general use "normal" lens, particularly for low light situations.

That said, I agree with Ad, if you are interested in architecture (or landscape) photography, I would expect that a wider field of view from a 24mm or shorter would suit you better. If I could justify the greater expense of the Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8, I'd get that lens for my a6000 in a half-second.

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount mobile app

5. DavidEdwardK

May 24, 2016
    Thanks for the quick feedback! I also have the Sigma 19, and I like its field of view, but it doesn't handle light as well as the 30. I do a lot of daybreak shooting so that is a concern for me. I'd heard some mixed reviews about the Sigma 30 1.4, and Mitakon seems to have a better low light reputation, so I thought I'd ask.

6. DavidEdwardK

May 24, 2016
    What I kind of shoot...don't know that I need wider than 24. This is the 30, light just before daybreak.

• Like Like x 2
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    24mm would be suited for your subject matter. I have both Sigma focal lengths that I use for landscapes, and concluded I needed a 24mm along as well.
    As Steve stated, I'd jump on a Zeiss 24mm if I could justify its cost. I went the legacy manual-focus route and enjoy the results from a Tamron 24mm f/2.5 and Olympus OM Zuiko 24mm f/2.8.

No experience with the modern Mitakon, but have good experiences with Rokinon/Samyang. If manual focus isn't an issue, they do have a 24mm f/1.4.