Sigma 19mm or 30mm, which to buy first??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by TheRealRossMoss, Aug 5, 2013.

1. TheRealRossMoss

TheRealRossMoss New to TalkEmount

Aug 5, 2013
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Hi,

Newbie on these boards!

I've just acquired a rather nice 5R, and after much reading I cant decide on whether to buy the Sigma 19mm or 30mm lense first.

Any advice on which one I should opt for?

Looking forward to your helpful opinions!

2. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Hello and welcome.

The 30mm is considered to be a sharper lens, but the 19mm is no slouch (I have the 19mm). The more important issue is what focal length is more useful for you. What do you like to shoot? Assuming you were using another camera prior to acquiring the 5r, go back and look at you pictures and see what focal length you most frequently used. I think that many people would find the 30mm as a better all around focal length and the 19mm better for landscapes, but habits and preferences vary.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Totally agree. Think about which range you will most likely shoot.

Myself I first bought the 19mm as a replacement for my 16mm. After being pleased with the 19mm I then bought the 30mm a month later.

4. TheRealRossMoss

TheRealRossMoss New to TalkEmount

Aug 5, 2013
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Myself I first bought the 19mm as a replacement for my 16mm. After being pleased with the 19mm I then bought the 30mm a month later.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, I think Im probably going to do the same and get the 19mm, but have this little nagging feeling Im missing out by not getting the 30mm. I'll probably end up buying both!

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    Agreement with prior replies - It depends on what you like to shoot. If you're mostly a landscape person, go with the 19mm. If you're looking for more of a walk-around lens, go with the 30mm.

I was originally looking for the 30mm when they first came out (@ $200). A local store had both, and I couldn't leave without them.

6. suntoryjim

suntoryjim TalkEmount Regular

May 17, 2013
    I have both lenses for my F3: the old 19mm and the new 30mm. I highly recommend that you get the 30mm first, as I consider it to be the most versatile. You can do so much more with the 30 and get slightly better results than with the 19mm. Granted you won't be able to do wide-sweeping landscapes, you can compensate by doing panoramas, which due to its inherent sharpness should give you some stunning results.

7. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    I've got both. Like a few others here, I bought the 19 first, was impressed and went for the 30 aswell. The 30 is a very, very good lens and returns results that surpass very much more expensive lenses!
    I would not be without my 30 :cool:

8. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have both (B&H double deal).

I use 19 much more often. 30 may be sharper at the edges, but somehow the perspective that 19 offers seems more interesting. Also I have a couple of other lenses that are close to 30 in FL, that I prefer to use.

That's another thing to consider. You can find a number of legacy alternatives to the 30mm, but it's tough to find one for 19.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

9. rogatsby

rogatsby TalkEmount Rookie

May 21, 2013
    This is a very, very tough question :)

Both lenses are superb, and yet so cheap! I would say get both if possible. They are both Sigmas, and they are both cheap, but they are very different. I've seen periodic discounts, where both are offered for a really low price.

Choosing between the 2 is really dependent on your personal taste and shooting style. The generic answer would be to choose the 30, because it is a more "normal" focal length. But like Amamba said, the 19 is very fun to use. Either way, you can't go wrong with either of these lenses.

10. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    I understand that at some point in the not too distant past, both lenses were sold for $200 together...at that price I would easily get both.

11. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I don't have them, but if I were going to choose one, I'd go for the 19. The 30 is closer to my favourite focal length but there are all kinds of choices in this focal length range in both E-Mount and adapted. 19 is much harder to find and much more expensive. I'd consider the 19 to be a better deal.

I'm still on the fence about weather I want to pick up one of these or the SEL 20 though.

12. Nex Tex

Nex Tex TalkEmount Regular

Jul 25, 2013
    How about a full frame 28mm or 24mm (you probably have one of those lying around!) with a Metabones Speedbooster or similar focal length reducer?

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I don't know. I have no experience with the Speedboosters.

I wish I had some lenses laying around but I'm new to photography. The NEX is the only non P&S camera I've ever had.

14. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    You're new to photography? Can't tell it by your excellent street shots.

Tony

15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Yeah, he's gifted alright ;)