Sigma 19mm f/2.8 for landscapes ??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by keitoumB, Feb 27, 2013.

1. keitoumB

keitoumB New to TalkEmount

Jan 5, 2013
    Hello all,

That's my first post here and i already found so much information here, so here i am... I'm wondering if Sigma 19mm f2.8 is a good option for landscapes photos ??

i'm using the 18-55 usual lens & Minolta 50mm f/1.4 MD for the moment, but i'm looking for WA quite cheap at this time...

Which one do you recommend to me ? my wallet is currently full of 150€ maximum :D

some try :

Minolta 50mm :
    coucher de soleil appart - 02-2013.jpg

18mm f/5.6 ISO 200 exp 25scd
    font romeu 02-2013.jpg

thanks a lot for your recommendations ;)
  2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, it should work quite nice for you. And less extreme wide angles produce more natural looking landscapes, which can be a good thing if you frame carefully.
  3. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    The wider the more landscape...
    The next "cheap" step would be the 16f28 which is wider but image quality isn't as good as the Sigma 19.
    But it is very compact and can be found quit cheap on the bay... and is expendable with 2 converters to a ultrawide angle and a fisheye lens...
  4. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    This is what the Sigma 19/2.8 can do. Look here for the full-size picture.

5. Chuck Lawson

Chuck Lawson TalkEmount Regular

Nov 23, 2012
    Dallas area
    I recently had a chance to do some landscape shooting with the Sigma 19mm on my NEX-6, and was relatively pleased with the results.

6. alterstill

alterstill TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 27, 2013
    Both Sigmas are unbelievable value for money. Apparently 30mm is bit sharper but I personally never noticed any difference. They both make strange noises and AF is rather slow. Quality control is not the greatest either, my first 19mm copy would not focus at all.
  7. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    That's Sigma for you. A good copy is great. All others, might as well send them back. I got lucky with my 19/30mm combo. Both seem to be good ones. I just got a Sigma 30mm F1.4 yesterday and it seems to be a good copy as well.
  8. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
  9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    dbmiller amazing shot , : D, that's why I chose for the combo of sigma, I would like to make a photo like this....
  10. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Sigma is capable. One of my very best shots ever was with a Sigma, but not an E-mount or a NEX. Like I said, get a good copy and they are great lenses.
  11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Depends on the landscape. I've used lenses from 10mm to 250mm and everything in between to shoot landscapes.

The Sigma has many fans, but for landscape shots it may not gain you much over the 18-55 since most landscape shots are between f/5.6 and f/11 anyway. The Sigma certainly isn't any wider. The SEL16F28 may be a better option since you can the UWA adapter and the fisheye adapter fairly inexpensively. :)
  12. keitoumB

keitoumB New to TalkEmount

Jan 5, 2013

Thanks a lot to everyone, dbmiller, your shot is fantastic.. i love it !!

i'll think about it, and wait my travel to US soon to make my decision... I think i'll buy something over there, the lens are so much cheaper than France :)