Sigma 19mm, 30mm night colors

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
I've been very happy with the Sigma 19/2.8 and 30/2.8 lenses on my a6000. But one thing I've noticed with night shots is green often comes out cyan. This is especially true in urban shots with traffic lights. When I shoot the same night scenes with my Sony 50/1.8, green lights come out green. Daylight color with the Sigma lenses is more accurate. Any suggestions for getting correct night color in the camera with the Sigmas? Thanks!

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Hmmmm, that's odd. I've not noticed this anomaly with my urban night street shots with my a6000 and Sigma trio.
Here's a shot with the 19mm f/2.8...... colors appear correct to the eye and not much different compared to shots taken with the 50 f/1.8 OSS.

DSC01805 by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

What settings are you using? My image was taken with white balance set to AWB, which usually returns a pretty neutral color balance. Also, what ISO were your Sigma shots taken at? Whenever the ISO is ramped up by Auto ISO, you can see color shifts if you're trying to recover shadows/highlights in editing. The compressed RAW format is not as clean as uncompressed RAW when pushing the dynamic range. This usually results in banding effects of magenta. White highlights can turn purple.

If the same settings on the a6000 were used and only the lenses were swapped, the 50 f/1.8 is faster and will be shot at a lower ISO by the a6000. Unless it's Aperture Priority for both lenses (Sigma and Sony).

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks for the reply. AWB, 2.8, ISO 1600 or 3200, 1/30. Color is more accurate at 1600. Also, I found a few night shots taken with the 50/1.8 where green lights have some slight blue in the color. Still more accurate than the Sigmas.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Thanks for the reply. AWB, 2.8, ISO 1600 or 3200, 1/30. Color is more accurate at 1600. Also, I found a few night shots taken with the 50/1.8 where green lights have some slight blue in the color. Still more accurate than the Sigmas.
Were you shooting hand-held or on a tripod? 1/60 sec. is the slowest I can go hand-held without IBIS. Any little movement will induce some color fringing effects. Disregard if this was on a tripod. NOTE: If you are shooting on a tripod with a long shutter, do enable 2-sec shutter delay to reduce induced vibration. It will get you a cleaner result.

The ISO is at the high end of usable. Anything beyond 3200 on the a6000 is terrible. This could be the reason. The 50mm has OSS and will reduce the smearing.
Also, are you viewing as JPEGs out of the camera or RAW files opened on an editor? If JPEGs, check your Picture Profiles. They may be enabled and causing the color shift. Also, I shoot set to Standard with defaults, no tweaking of the parameters like contrast, sharpness, kelvin. If unsure, you can reset the the camera to factory defaults.

BTW, if you are using protective 'UV' filters on the front of your lenses.....don't! Unless they are the high quality variety, they all cause artifacts, glare, ghosting, when shooting at night with lights.

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
Appreciate your feedback, WNG. At night I tend to prop the camera on objects or use a monopod. Not as stable as a tripod, but not handheld. Buildings and misc things are sharp in the shots. And dark green colors at dusk (plants, trees, green paint, etc.) seem pretty true. It's just green lights that are off. All pictures are JPEGs downloaded from the camera. Didn't find Picture Profiles in the menus but Creative Style is set to Standard. I use auto ISO in daylight only, at night I set it to 3200 or lower. Don't use any filters.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Appreciate your feedback, WNG. At night I tend to prop the camera on objects or use a monopod. Not as stable as a tripod, but not handheld. Buildings and misc things are sharp in the shots. And dark green colors at dusk (plants, trees, green paint, etc.) seem pretty true. It's just green lights that are off. All pictures are JPEGs downloaded from the camera. Didn't find Picture Profiles in the menus but Creative Style is set to Standard. I use auto ISO in daylight only, at night I set it to 3200 or lower. Don't use any filters.
OK, we now know it's the JPEG output, not RAW files. I would try to reset the camera to default settings. I know it's a PITA as it resets your settings/options. But it'll assure you don't have to hunt thru the menus to set JPEG settings manually.
I'd recommend that you try to shoot at a lower ISO than 3200 at night. You can still use AUTO ISO, but simply set the high and low thresholds. ie. 100 to 3200, or 200 to 1600.
The camera will attempt to use a lower ISO for a cleaner image when possible. Shooting manual ISO at 3200 or even 1600 will definitely degrade image quality. All your photos are taken at the upper usable limit for ISO. The shot I posted was at f/2.8, 1/60 sec. and AUTO ISO which selected 500 for the conditions.

2nd recommendation if you're not already shooting RAW, to give that a try, as the files have much better dynamic range. Capture One for Sony Express is free to use for Sony owners. And it's not hard to use. You can manipulate the colors much better and cleaner.

Good luck, I think it's isolated to your camera settings, as I've not run into this issue, nor have I read about it from others here either.

nighttrain

TalkEmount Regular
Thanks again for your suggestions, WNG. I shot a group of RAW night photos a few months ago. Three images have green traffic lights that are cyan viewed in Capture One. I'll try a camera reset and limit the ISO range to 1600 for some test shots.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Thanks again for your suggestions, WNG. I shot a group of RAW night photos a few months ago. Three images have green traffic lights that are cyan viewed in Capture One. I'll try a camera reset and limit the ISO range to 1600 for some test shots.
I see, interesting...another clue. I ran into a color mismatch issue long while ago in Capture One 9 that I couldn't figure out on one computer. But there was no mismatch with other apps opening an image file. And no mismatch with a copy of Capture One on my laptop. I later surmised it was a caused by not having sRGB color space enabled across the whole computer. I had used a specific one for my Samsung monitor in Windows. It didn't cause trouble for any other app but Capture One.
Strange.
So, be sure your a6000 is defaulted to sRGB and not Adobe-RGB etc. As well as the computer/monitor display driver, Capture One, etc.

HTH.

Latest posts

Top Bottom