Sigma 19 mm v. SEL 16-50mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Nex6, Sep 9, 2013.

1. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Dear all,

Is there a big difference between sigma 19 and Sony kit len's 16-50mm? I have both lenses and I don't see a significant difference in color or sharpness. I heard that the sigma 19 is much better but I just don't see it. Is it because I'm not using the right settings?

Is it redundant to have both lens? Thanks.

I have Sony next6

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The Sigma is not only faster by a full stop (I think the kit zoom is f/4 at 19mm), it's also much sharper from corner to corner. Both lenses are not particularly famous for their color rendering.

Just take a picture with both lenses mounted on a tripod at f/4, zoom in and you'll instantly see just how much better the Sigma lens resolves at the edges.

Is it redundant to have both lenses? Not really. There are people out there who own and use four different 50mm primes. The Sigma is faster and it's a prime, so it's a completely different lens for different uses.

3. Fiddler

Fiddler TalkEmount Regular

Mar 8, 2012
    Edinburgh
    Colin
    The 19 is a lot sharper. Good to have both, though.

4. Nex6

Nex6 TalkEmount Regular

Aug 16, 2013
    Thanks for the response. Do you guys know what lens have great color rendering? I had a Canon dslr Xsi with stock lens and I think the color is much more vivid than my Sony nex. I couldn't figure our why. Even when I use the vivid mode its not that great either. It just looks too saturated and too yellow. Is it the lens that I use? Or is there any setting that I can change?

I really don't have the time to make the changes in Photoshop or lightroom frequently.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using TalkNEX mobile app

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 'vividness' is due to the JPEG engine, the camera processing and the sensor itself, not the lens. If you want great color rendering, generally Zeiss, Leica and to a certain degree Schneider-Kreuznach lenses are usually a good bet. Sigma Foveon cameras are also famous for their color rendering.

6. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Sony uses different processing than Canon. I agree that Canon colors are more pleasant (and if you think Sony is bad, you should see the green snot that comes out of Nikon).

You can tweak the in camera modes a bit. Saturation and such. But not by much. If you have Lightroom then you could create a processing profile that would be automatically applied to all photos on import. But honestly, if you don't want to post at all, why bother with a mirrorless ?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    If you are using jpeg, you can tweak the settings for contrast, saturation and sharpness in camera with different profiles. Landscape, Portrait, B&W, Vivid etc. Play around with the settings there to see if you can get an output that matches what you want.

I shoot raw and apply a preset on import as Amamba mentions. It takes no time. However, I do post-process every file I would do something with.