Sigma 19 & 30mm, classic vs "Art". Optics?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Martytoof, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Interested in picking up the 19 and 30mm. I will probably buy them both through B&H's 2-for-200 offer, but I was just curious whether the old style lenses are somehow inferior to the new "Art" models?

At twice the price I'm wondering whether they're just trying to create a premium market for the new lenses, or whether there is actually something new and improved about these lenses, optically?

Curious about any other changes as well, aside from the smooth finish.

Sorry if this is a duplicate, I didn't see any other threads about this specific query.

Thanks!

2. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I've heard internet ramblings both ways, haven't bothered to research which is really true.

My advice would be to go ahead and nab the closeout deals on the older lenses while you still can. $199 for both is a pretty awesome deal. What's more, both my older lenses came with a 4 year extended warranty! :cool:

3. Martytoof

Martytoof TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    Oh definitely. If I am going to spend $400 on a lens I'll get the Sony 20mm instead, but at $200 I'll pick up the optically excellent Sig 19 and 30 any day :)

4. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I've read that optics are the same.

5. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    I saw some tests on slrgear.com where the art versions had markedly better performance. But it depends on the standards you set for yourself. Most people will probably be more than happy with the standard versions, especially if the price is right.

6. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    Interesting question. I'm sufficiently happy with my older models that I don't need to look at the new ones. I would be surprised if there were much difference. By the time you subtract a certain amount of hype put about by people who are paid to enthuse about any new model, you would probably be hard pressed to see any real difference. Its difficult to see how Sigma could improve much on the original models without charging a premium price for the new, which apparently they aren't. They remain excellent value for money. Next to my CZ 24 they are the best lenses I have used on an NEX.

I wouldn't hesitate to snap up the older models if there are good clearance deals to be had.

7. Frank Teurlings

Frank Teurlings TalkEmount Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Netherlands
    The renewed 19 mm and 30 mm according to the latest rumors have the same optical construction, only the outside would be different

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I agree, soon is posible would like to jump on the CZ 24 f/1.8 too, I'm very happy with the older version maybe the Sel35mm F1.8 going to be the next in my set for the summer.

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I'm Love the sigma 30mm is very good, nice combo with the nex7

10. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    It's the Sigma 60mm that I'm waiting for. You would think they would make one 60mm before making two 19s and two 30s.

11. Rich

Rich TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 20, 2012
    Salisbury UK
    Richard
    +1. I am very keen to get hold of the 60, not sure why Sigma are dragging their heels on that one. That said I'd like to have a play with the CZ 50 when it comes out.

12. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I read the new ones don't rattle as much when the camera is powered off, if that sort of thing bothers you. But that optically they are the same.

13. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Interesting that they have been available for a few days now and I haven't seen anyone posting any pictures or providing their opinions ;)
    Seriously though, there are usually first adopters who jump on this stuff as soon as it comes out and I get the feeing there hasn't been too much interest given that the "old" lenses are still available at a significant savings. But, maybe I'm wrong ...