Sigma 19/2.8

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm headed to Barcelona and I have been planning to just go with one adapted lens (probably my Vivitar 28/2) but I am starting to think it might not be a bad idea to have an AF lens along for the ride. I don't own any AF lenses so I thought about picking up something like the Sigma 19/2.8.

Thing is, I've had that lens three times and sold it. I never liked it much but I go to Flickr and I see some gorgeous work done with it and on my a6000 it would small, have a nice 28mm FOV that would be handy for travel and I can pick one up without impacting the travel budget very much. Am I missing something about that lens? Is there a trick to getting the best out of it?

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I have one but, don't use it very often. When I want to go wide, I usually shoot with my 12mm f/2 Rokinon. However, you just cannot beat the three Sigma f/2.8 e-mount lenses: 19mm, 30mm, and 60mm for form factor, quality and value when you are shooting with Sony APSC cameras...

The 19mm is a small, fast focusing, e-mount lens that is being sold at a excellent price - especially on the used market.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I thought you can't stand the 19mm f/2.8? ;)
Although I like the Sigma Art Trio and they are an excellent value, the 19mm has returned good imaging, but I find the ~28mm FOV either too wide or not wide enough. So I've found it limited in use. I've discovered (for me) that 28mm primes on full frame to produce the same predicament, and I don't use my stash of 28mm at all.
Of course, it's a matter of personal preferences. They do close focus very well.
If you want to have a native AF as backup, I suggest looking for a used 18-55mm zoom. More flexibility, and OSS to boot. Can be found at times for $100. That's what I paid for mine. At 18mm, the kit lens is only a tad less sharp compared to the Sigma 19mm. And it's still shorter than a 28mm /f2 with adapter.
If you insist on just one lens, then a 28mm f/2 should be just fine. Need wider, you can do a stitched pano.

addieleman

Passionate amateur
Real Name
Ad Dieleman
I'm headed to Barcelona and I have been planning to just go with one adapted lens (probably my Vivitar 28/2) but I am starting to think it might not be a bad idea to have an AF lens along for the ride. I don't own any AF lenses so I thought about picking up something like the Sigma 19/2.8.

Thing is, I've had that lens three times and sold it. I never liked it much but I go to Flickr and I see some gorgeous work done with it and on my a6000 it would small, have a nice 28mm FOV that would be handy for travel and I can pick one up without impacting the travel budget very much. Am I missing something about that lens? Is there a trick to getting the best out of it?
Buying and selling a lens three times is a pretty good indicator that you're not going to like it for the fourth time :). In the same way I went through 3 samples of the Sony E 55-210mm and finally gave up on it. I've had a Sigma E 2.8/19 (non-Art but probably the same optical design) and I wasn't too impressed with it, while I did like the 2.8/60 and 2.8/30; the latter was my default lens on the NEX-6. I got the Sony E 4/10-18mm which is a fine lens. One of the reasons I went to full-frame was my frustation about the non-existence of good options (my opinion of course) for the telephoto range; The Sigma 2.8/60 wasn't long enough and lacks OSS which limited its usefulness: I needed shutter speeds of 1/250 s or over to get really sharp pictures. The lens itself is so sharp that the slightest motion blur detracts from sharpness.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I thought you can't stand the 19mm f/2.8? ;)
Although I like the Sigma Art Trio and they are an excellent value, the 19mm has returned good imaging, but I find the ~28mm FOV either too wide or not wide enough. So I've found it limited in use. I've discovered (for me) that 28mm primes on full frame to produce the same predicament, and I don't use my stash of 28mm at all.
Of course, it's a matter of personal preferences. They do close focus very well.
If you want to have a native AF as backup, I suggest looking for a used 18-55mm zoom. More flexibility, and OSS to boot. Can be found at times for $100. That's what I paid for mine. At 18mm, the kit lens is only a tad less sharp compared to the Sigma 19mm. And it's still shorter than a 28mm /f2 with adapter.
If you insist on just one lens, then a 28mm f/2 should be just fine. Need wider, you can do a stitched pano.
Right on all counts.

kevistopheles

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Buying and selling a lens three times is a pretty good indicator that you're not going to like it for the fourth time :). In the same way I went through 3 samples of the Sony E 55-210mm and finally gave up on it. I've had a Sigma E 2.8/19 (non-Art but probably the same optical design) and I wasn't too impressed with it, while I did like the 2.8/60 and 2.8/30; the latter was my default lens on the NEX-6. I got the Sony E 4/10-18mm which is a fine lens. One of the reasons I went to full-frame was my frustation about the non-existence of good options (my opinion of course) for the telephoto range; The Sigma 2.8/60 wasn't long enough and lacks OSS which limited its usefulness: I needed shutter speeds of 1/250 s or over to get really sharp pictures. The lens itself is so sharp that the slightest motion blur detracts from sharpness.
No doubt. Even now, when I look at shots done with the a6000 and Sigma 19...I don’t find that I want one. I think it’s capable of nice images but I don’t think i’m The person to get the best out of it. Besides, every time I make a foray into AF I end up back with my old MF lenses before long. May as well just accept who I am. A photographic Luddite. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
I just tried this lens AF in a relatively low light level on my A6500 and it could not lock on focus. It kept hunting back and forth to find focus but never did. However. the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 was able to lock and hold focus. The Sigma 19mm is going on the market this weekend.

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I just tried this lens AF in a relatively low light level on my A6500 and it could not lock on focus. It kept hunting back and forth to find focus but never did. However. the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 was able to lock and hold focus. The Sigma 19mm is going on the market this weekend.
The Sigma f/2.8 Art lenses don't have full 425 phase detect point coverage. Only a small central area of PD points, plus contrast detection. Try changing AF focusing to center or spot. Also, I recall closing down the aperture to f/8 or more will hamper focus. Don't remember if the a6500 has option to focus at wide open aperture to attain lock before reverting to the desired f-stop.

In low light, f/2.8 to f/5.6 will have just about the whole frame sharp. If it still hunts on you, enabling DMF allows you to quickly override the AF by a twist of the focus ring. The peaking and magnification features activate immediately.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Veteran
The Sigma f/2.8 Art lenses don't have full 425 phase detect point coverage. Only a small central area of PD points, plus contrast detection. Try changing AF focusing to center or spot. Also, I recall closing down the aperture to f/8 or more will hamper focus. Don't remember if the a6500 has option to focus at wide open aperture to attain lock before reverting to the desired f-stop.

In low light, f/2.8 to f/5.6 will have just about the whole frame sharp. If it still hunts on you, enabling DMF allows you to quickly override the AF by a twist of the focus ring. The peaking and magnification features activate immediately.
Thank you very much... I will definitely try doing just that! In fact, I just changed the Drive Mode to single shooting and the focus mode to single shot AF and the Focus Area to Center. I turned the office light down low and the AF works quite well with the camera emitting the red focus lamp to assist in focusing.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No problems with focusing anymore...I just shot this mage using center AF, The lens found the faces on the two ladies and also found the face of one of the dogs...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom