1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Sigma 16mm f2.8 Fisheye "Filtermatic"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by nathanh, Apr 12, 2015.

1. nathanh

nathanh TalkEmount Regular

Jan 23, 2015
    I'm trying out the FD mount version of this lens. Here's what it looks like. Samples of the output to follow. (Came without a lens cap. Really needs one!)

To keep things relatively neutral, I have shot in RAW but done no corrections (other than what is noted) in Lightroom when exporting to JPG. I figure a gallery like this is most useful when you are seeing what the lens can do, without my post processing skills getting in the way.

Obviously all were shot manual focus. EXIF data (other than aperture of course) is contained in each photo. Mostly I was shooting very stopped down, in order to get a lot of depth of field. This lens can focus REALLY close, and create significant bokeh when wide open, and I should post a couple like that, later on.

Did I mention that the seller didn't have a front cap for it???? I would love a recommendation about where to buy, find, or fabricate one. For a c. 25 year old lens, it's in good shape, and I'd like to not be the person that messes it up.

PS, I have happy to share the RAW files for these sample shots, if someone has a place I can upload them to that would make them accessible to others.

16909857827_6c8bafff7d_k. Untitled by natty_n8, on Flickr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  2. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

3. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  4. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  5. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  6. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

7. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

8. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  9. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    16934541028_4790921caa_k. 20150411-20150411-DSC00640 by natty_n8, on Flickr

They could all benefit from some post processing, to get to a final optimal image. Most could use a little defringing and brightening up a bit, as a start. But this is the only image in this sample set where I actually did some PP, because I underexposed this one to make sure I did not blow out the color and detail in the sky (which is what would happen if I let the camera try to expose the underpass area "correctly"). So I had to bring up the shadows 100%, up the exposure a little, and pull down the highlights a bit, in LR.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  10. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

11. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

13. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  14. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    I was just researching this lens the other day, I heard that if you remove the front element, as if to install a different filter, and use the lens without it, will actually give out pretty decent magnification.

Good luck on the cap, seems a tricky one to find. Perhaps a felt lined can?

15. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    This one didn't come with any of the original filters, and I haven't been brave enough to take it apart -- in part because I haven't found instructions about how to do so. In your research, was there a particular site or video that had really good info? I did find this old ad, though my version looks a little different, e.g., no LOCK/UNLOCK label on the hood, and a button near the base as it typical of FD mount lenses.

00aKL5-461697584.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Mexico
    Vic
    I did not found a video of it, does your version has a third ring with the filter names on it? I have a 28mm Filtermatic with this ring, you need to push down to rotate the mechanism, the filters themselves are inside of it. I am unaware if there are 2 versions of this lens.

See this: http://static.dcfever.com/media/trading//10/5/14/1799671273850004_m.jpg

17. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    Oh, I see what you are saying. Yes, there is a button, near the rear, and it lets me rotate the lowest disc. But it appears to be to secure the lens in place....though maybe this Fotodiox adapter is not acting the way the sigma lens wants or expects. In any event I cannot see that rotating it changes the image at all. It just loosens the lens.

From my reading, the filters for this lens go in hear the front, and exist as separate items. I'm guessing either nothing is there now or the clear filter is in there.

image.

• Like Like x 1
  18. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    I took off the front element, to clean it, and also to see if I learned more about the filter setup. Still not clear on how the filters work, but I did confirm that when the front element is removed, you can shoot from zero distance (i.e., the ruler was touching the outside dial/focus ring) but focus control is no longer possible.

20150415-20150415-DSC00897.

• Like Like x 2
  19. nathanh

Jan 23, 2015
    By the way, I tried to Fotasy FD adapter today and it is much easier to mount the Sigma to it that to the Fotodiox Pro.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. claytondouglas

claytondouglas New to TalkEmount

Feb 13, 2016
    Hello, I have almost the exact same set up....A7R, and the FD version. Did you ever find a place to ge that cap? Im in the same situation.