Sigma 100-400mm Contemporary for E mount

bdbits

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
A review already? That was quick, just officially announced yesterday.

Sigma has been really aggressive lately. Still, you have a G lens and a slightly wider aperture and slightly cheaper. And both are way cheaper than the Sony 100-400. Time will tell on IQ when people start getting them in their hands.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I am quite happy with the 70-350mm G lens.

When I was a Canon shooter, I used the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS ii lens and really liked its capabilities, However due to its heavy weight (57.76 oz or 1640 grams), I did not carry this lens unless I knew I would be shooting in a venue when I needed the reach - like for wildlife or airshows...

Switching to Sony, I looked at the Sony 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 GM OSS lens and "almost"pulled the trigger on it except that it was almost as heavy as the Canon (49.21 oz or 1395 Grams) and it cost an enormous $2,500...

Sigma has come out with a 100-400mm f/5-6.3 e-mount lens which only costs $949 and will be available next month. It is lighter in weight ( 40 oz or 1135 grams) than either the Canon or GM lenses of the equivalent focal range and, if true to other recent Sigma lens releases, should have excellent capabilities.

However, in the interest of a lightweight kit at a decent price, I opted to buy the APSC format Sony 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS lens which costs $898. Yes this lens is 50mm shorter on the long end than the Canon/GM/Sigma lenses but, it is 30mm wider at the short end and at 22.08 ounces or 625 grams is considerably lighter in weight than any of the other three.

The downside for some folks is that the 70-350mm G lens is for APSC format only. This doesn't bother me a bit since I shoot with both Sony full frame and crop sensor cameras AND (this is an important AND) when, I shot Canon, I always used the 100-400mm lens on my crop sensor 7D and 7D2 cameras.

Of course Sony has the excellent 200-600mm lens but, the size and weight of this monster keeps me away from it...

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I'm waiting to see what Tamron does on the telephoto end. I doubt they'll leave this segment all to Sigma and Sony. I'm hoping they do something different, but compelling. I have the Tamron 28-200mm 2.8-5.6 arriving tomorrow, and I'd love a telephoto zoom to pair with that lens. Also I wouldn't mind seeing some faster telephoto f/4 primes in the pipeline, but I bet they'll be expensive.

I'm still keeping my Nikon gear just because it's cheaper for me to keep a separate DSLR kit with certain telephoto lenses. Just recently Amazon was selling brand new Nikon 300mm f4 PF VR lenses for $1199 USD through their clearance website Woot. Not sure how they pulled that off selling under MSRP?

Last edited:

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Christopher Frost also did a review recently of the Sigma 100-400mm and the results at 400mm look impressive. I like listening to both his reviews and Mattias Burling, mainly based on their smooth dictation! I prefer not looking at some of these camera reviewers, unless they're an attractive female model! :roflmao:

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
I like listening to both his reviews ... ... ... mainly based on their smooth dictation!
Californians and Brits seem to love each other's accents! Yes, I'm English :laugh1:

I know that I want a couple of zoom lenses. What is on offer at the moment has me fairly confused as to what, why and when. (Of course, I should answer why first). I'm sure the choice will only get better. Or worse... for decision making.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I don't expect to see 3rd party fast supertelephoto primes - the market is too small.
I'm wondering if it's possible Tamron can pull off a fast variable 2.8-5.6 telephoto zoom lens? That would totally be different to anything out there. Tamron still has the opportunity to release these lenses in other mirrorless mounts to offset their R&D cost. Though telephoto fast primes will most likely come direct from Sony.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
Californians and Brits seem to love each other's accents! Yes, I'm English :laugh1:

I know that I want a couple of zoom lenses. What is on offer at the moment has me fairly confused as to what, why and when. (Of course, I should answer why first). I'm sure the choice will only get better. Or worse... for decision making.
Depends on the English accent. I worked at an English agency where everyone spoke with a cockney accent. Took me over a month to understand what everyone was saying! :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom