• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sigma 100-400? Tamron 70-180?

mesmerized

TalkEmount Regular
Hey there,

How heavy are those two lenses and do you have a preference for one or the other? I know they are completely different lenses, but if you were to take one tele-zoom on a longer trip across Asia, which one would you go for? Or... would you be able to justify having both at your disposal?

Cheers

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Well, at the end, it’s all depending if you need reach or speed.
The tamron/Sony 70-300 could be an alternative in between?

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don't know the weights of these lenses. But it should be a fairly simple task to go to B&H or Adorama and look up the specs. And while I enjoy shooting with my Sigma 100-400mm, it's not a lens I would ever consider taking along on a long trip unless I was very, very certain that I had something specific in mind for it. It's big and heavy, and not what I would consider a "versatile" lens. Hauling it across Asia would be a pain. Now, a safari in Kenya, that would be another thing altogether.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
When I shot Canon gear, I carried a pair of 7D2 cameras along with a 17-55mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/4.0 all over the world. Although I owned a Canon 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L Mark-ii lens, I never carried it on a trip unless, like David above, I had a specific reason for carrying that lens. The 100-400mm was just too big and far too heavy for a travel lens. The form factor is also the reason that I carried an f/4.0 rather that the f/2.8, 70-200mm lens...

I now own the Sony 70-200mm f/4.0 lens but, would be interested in trying the Tamron 70-180mm f/2.8...

Latest posts

Top Bottom