Shutter lag on A7RII with Sony wireless transmitter/receiver and flashes

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by SRHEdD, Apr 10, 2017.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I'm lucky to shoot with two separate kits. A Nikon kit with a D750, SU800, and SB910/SB700 flashes. Works flawlessly.

The other is my Sony kit, A7RII and HVL-F60M. I recently started to add to its lighting capabilities by getting the new Sony wireless transmitter set. It is a good bit harder to set up than the Nikon IR set, but I got it set up.

There is a comparatively huge shutter lag when compared to Nikon's SU800 set up. It would seem to be almost a full second from push to fire on the shutter release.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a work around?

Please, I'm not after, "my Godox does this" or the like. I'm after real-world Sony users of this transmitter/receiver set, and if they've seen same issue.

Thanks!

2. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    I would be very surprised if you found another real world user of this transmitter/receiver set.

Two suggestions.
    1) Make sure your flash mode is set to 'wireless'.
    2) Make sure your A7rii is on the latest firmware.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    You are the first that i have heard of that has this very expensive set so i have never heard of problems since i have never heard of any set actually in operation.

Out of curiosity, did you buy your HVL-F60M new or used. The reason i ask is because this flash unit had a firmware update about 2 years ago (late 2014) and the first had FW No 1.00. Trouble is you need to send the flash to Sony to get it updated.
    To check if you have firmware 1.10, simply go to the menu's 3rd tab showing Memory/Reset: If you don't see a FW no, you have 1.00, if it shows 1.10 you have the latest.

Maybe FW no 1.00 does not work well with the new WL remotes.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Was kinda hoping that would be it... alas, 1.10.

Also, I have a couple of bigger battery-powered Flashpoint (Adorama) portable strobes which each came with their own (different) radio remotes. The A7RII release is back to near-instantaneous with their transmit/receive set ups.

5. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yeah, I keep everything current and read the manuals. And it is actually quite well made and featured. I really like it IF I can beat this delay issue. The top panel mimics the Sony flashes in control placement. I'm not sorry it cost more than others, but I am sorry to find there is such a delay in shutter release. It seems to be related to the pre-flash, and worse when wireless than when flash is mounted on camera directly. I will say though, the Nikon fires much more quickly in either scenario. And the SU800, even with its IR limitations is way faster than this Sony setup (so far). This is true in manual mode or TTL. The only way the Sony fires quickly is when the transmitter is not a Sony bit (non-TTL).

6. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    Is red eye reduction set to 'off' in camera?

7. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Yep. Been digging into the Interweb tonight and can find others calling out same issue. It is the inherent slowness of the shutter having to close, take a TTL reading, then open and fire, whereas a DSLR doesn't need to close its shutter first. Still learning more, but it seems to be unfixable unless I go to manual flash. Might be buying that Nikon D810 replacement after all.

8. robbie36

Nov 21, 2014
    I think your grasping at straws here. You mention a delay from pressing the shutter of '1 second' which clearly means something is not right.

The delay I get with both 'ttl and wireless' isn't really noticeable as a delay and is under 0.2 of a second.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I am absolutely grasping at straws. One of the less fun aspects of my work is photographing charity events. The shutter delay with a flash mounted makes me completely distrust getting that "moment." Especially compared to my Nikon kit. This started because I was looking to upgrade the Nikon from IR to radio wireless at about the same time the Sony set came out. The Nikon IR is everything I'd ever want it to be, except for those inherent IR issues. Put a flash or two up on light stands in the corners? Works perfectly. I thought to get the Sony a leg up on my Nikon IR with this new FA set would be great. Not so much. And whatever the actual timed delay might be, it is functionally inadequate when I have another kit with a better working solution.

10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Here's a video I found where you can see/hear the delay. Why he added the slo-mo part, I don't know. Also, when on manual flash, the camera performs as it should... quickly.

11. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    What lens are you using ? I ask because maybe some adapted lenses/adapters may cause a small lag in the body/lens/flash communication that is essential to the proper operation of flash.

Also, just in case, can you try with EFCS ( Electronic first curtain shutter) OFF. I assume it is in the default ON position. I have seen many flash issues with EFCS ON in the past.

12. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Hmm.........well..........ok then
    ;) :hide:
    Sounds to me like noted earlier that something is not right, broke or by some mistake somewhere set to work against you.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017