Shutter actuation in a used camera?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by mingus2112, May 17, 2017.

1. mingus2112

mingus2112 TalkEmount Regular

Jun 16, 2014
    Trying to decide how to value the shutter count when buying a used camera. If the difference between buying new (zero actuations) and used with 11,000 actuations is only $50, i'd tend to lean to buying new. So with a camera like the a6000 (which is what i'm considering), what do you think the price point and shutter count should be to consider buying used?

When buying a film camera, or even a DSLR with a mirror, there are obviously moving parts in the camera body itself. But with a mirrorless, what are we considering besides the lens? I would tend to think number of hours powered ON would mean more (or at least just as much) as the shutter count. Is there anything mechanical in a mirrorless body that i'm forgetting?

-James

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Mechanical wear: buttons/contacts. Latches. Wear to the camera mount interface. Wear to the tripod thread. Wear to the linkages to the tilt screen and pop up flash. Ribbon cable flex fatigue.
    Moisture ingress can damage button contacts with Sony cameras.

3. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    Ah, buttons. Of course. All of those other conditions, though, could relate just as much as how "gently" the camera was used as to shutter count. I'm looking to get at least a few years out of the camera - enough to where I could buy a used 6500 for around $500 and have IBIS for my old glass. I don't necessarily need it to last a lifetime. Who here has the a6000 with the highest shutter count? I've read that they can last to 150k-200k. I'm sure my SRT-101 has 5x that many on it, but that's easier repaired than worn out electronics!

-James

4. WNG

WNG TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Don't recall how to retrieve it on an a6000. But mine is probably one of the highest here. :)
    Edit: I think I found it...
    82,100+

• Wow Wow x 1
  5. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just to ensure my understanding, we are taking about a mechanical shutter in the a6500, right?

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I checked this out earlier for my A7R2, will be the same for the A6500 I guess.

If you look at the Image Count fields in the EXIF data, you're looking at the mechanical shutter actuation count. Each shutter button press increases the count by 1, unless the camera is in silent shutter mode, in that case the count doesn't change. Switching electronic front curtain on or off doesn't make a difference.

Schermafbeelding 2017-05-18 om 08.07.10.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Alex66

Alex66 TalkEmount Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Not sure I would buy used to save $50 given I would be getting a better warranty for that and an unused camera. However I tend to buy used given how much a lot of these things fall in value over time. I would look at all the camera when working out is it worth buying, condition and if I could get a shutter count that is very useful indicator how much it has left to use. Also if it had a low shutter count but a well battered body I would turn away as it obviously has not been cared for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    750,000 shots which means more than 20,000 rolls of film. Wow. I must say I have encountered tens of SR-T cameras in the last few years and all of them had a properly working shutter, these cameras seem very reliable to me.

9. mingus2112

Jun 16, 2014
    I'm getting 410,000 in my math, which would average 341 rolls of 24frame film over its 50 year lifespan. I may have overstated/exaggerated -that might be close to accurate it its early days, but not once I owned it. It is certainly possible on SOME SRTs, but not mine! I wouldn't be shocked, though, at an SRT that took that much use. They're just so.. . .repairable.

As for the a6000, I would pay $50 extra to go new over used. . .but once it starts going over $100 is when I start to think about used. The cost of a used a6000 is a fraction of what they were (new OR used) when I bought my NEX6 3 years ago, but costs are severely down on new ones these days as well. Decisions!

-James