Showing my $20 dollar half case plus the Peak Design strap for A7Rii..not bad in my opinion

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shaolin95, Mar 25, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So the case was listed as A7ii only but as expected it fits the A7Rii very tightly. It comers with a Wrist Strap but the point of hooking up is way to flimsy in my eyes to trust it with my too expensive camera

The metal base of the case is VERY thick and feels heavy so it does add quite some weight to the camera. Also, in some ways it makes me change the way I hold the camera when one handed because of the hole for the battery door. Looks very nice to me but I am not so sure if I love it or not yet.
    Also like the Gariz, it pushes the tripod mount to the side so I cannot really live my tripod mount there all the time as it blocks the battery door...this to me is the biggest problem in a way as I am too lazy and always left mine there (also serving as a stand to keep the bottom of the camera from scratching).
    The extra size does give a resting place for your pinkie though!

Anyways, here are some photos of it. Last one with the Peak Design wrist strap.

This design remings me of the Gariz and one other I have seen before both which were a LOT more expensive than this one. In fact, the Gariz I bought for my NEX-6 years ago had a super flimsy razor thing bottom metal piece that I had to glue myself because of how lame the original glue job was done.

This is where I bought it:

New Handmade leather half camera case & wrist Strap for Sony a7 II a7II 4 Colors
    DSC07597s. DSC07600s. DSC07596s. DSC07598s.
    • Like Like x 6
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    The machinist in me wants to drill and tap another location for the tripod mount bushing over on the other side of the mounting lock.
  3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Man that would be awesome for sure. I will send you mine so you can mod it. :D
    I know the Gariz is the same below and some people like having that ring to use their neck straps there but for me, I would have gone with a centered mounting for my tripod instead. Still, the quality is good overall specially for the price I think. :)
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    I've become a big Peak Design fan lately and love my "Cuff" wrist strap!

Its not without its flaws though (as everything in life)...

I know this thread is for the actual half case so sorry for the slight off topic :D
  5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Hey no worries, its kind of for both. :)
    One thing I did was stick two self stickiy pads on the back of the plastic part that hooks up with the red puck, to avoid any friction that could result on wear on the camera body. Yep I am like that LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nidza

nidza TalkEmount Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    Interesting design. I ordered from China one for 10 dollars, doesn't seem so nicely finished as yours, but has one interesting solution. The screw which tightens halfcase with camera it from the bottom screw for tripod. Actually can't happen that halfcase is holding the camera if on a tripod, rather it is directly connected with more reliable connection in my opinion. Could be that this halfcase of yours has really strong bottom, maybe metal.

Useful thing, I use it more then a battery grip. Considering selling grip.
  7. pdk42

pdk42 TalkEmount Regular

Nov 26, 2014
    That's very interesting. Could you post a link to the one you bought? Thanks.