1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Show Photos with high ISO

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Pete, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    I am really getting close to picking one of these nex things up. One of my main concerns is using
    high iso settings at night, mainly at band concerts in a dingie, dimmly, grungie setting (my kid
    is in a metal band and I go to shoot them from time to time).

Would be cool if I could see the nex in action and even what iso you had. Thanks again peeps.
    Cheers all,
    Pete

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    This shot was taken in VERY low light -- lit only with the flashlight my son was holding and the tiniest amount of incandescent light coming from the next room. I took this at ISO 1600, pushed it one stop (making it equivalent of ISO 3200), converted to B&W and then added contrast (which increased the visibility of noise/grain in the image).

i-6dM338M-XL.

3. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    superb JJ, this is a keeper. Thanks for sharing
    Pete

4. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Pete,
    I am getting ready to shoot the Austin City Limits Festival this weekend and I am leaving my big Canon rig at home and shooting exclusively with the NEX and adapted lenses. Am sure I will get plenty of funny looks and snickers of "lifter" in the photo pit but I have no doubt that the NEX will do well. Will post photos here next week.

For those wondering, "lifter" is someone who "lifts" a point and shoot in the photo pit to the annoyance of all the Canikon "pros" behind him/her. As a Canikon pro myself, I get a kick out of shooting my X100 and NEX in the pit and for a 3 day festival in near 100 degree heat, I'm looking forward to a comparatively light gear bag.

5. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Pete I have a gallery with a few shots taken in a jazz club in Prague at 6400ISO. You'll find them here.

6. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    thanks guys, olli the jazz shots are great. i may even tryout 500px. thanks all.

7. anonsailor

anonsailor Guest

Aug 30, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    taken at 6400 ISO...

[​IMG]

8. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Low light, high ISO, This is where the NEX really shines.

9. C Wadsworth

C Wadsworth TalkEmount Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    2/3 through ACL weekend. Just shot Stevie Wonder with the Minolta M-Mount 90mm @ f4 1600 and 3200 ISO. Looking forward to sharing the photos. I think y'all are going to be pretty excited about what the 5N can do.

10. olli

olli TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2011
    Washington DC
    olli
    Pete, the jazz shots are hosted on smugmug, not 500px.

11. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    Evening shot on NEX 3 @ 1600iso...

DSC001411.

12. jebuskrust

jebuskrust TalkEmount Regular

Sep 16, 2011
    Limassol, Cyprus
    @bugleone, nice pic and great doggy

13. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    Great shot Bugi, thanks a bunch.
    Pete

14. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    I have tried three times to upload from flickr two different pics, I am unable to preview before posting...I'm using the same method that I have always used what am I doing wrong?

15. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    6178207676_81354a6dd6_z.
    URC Huyton by penipics, on Flickr

Iso 3200 NEX 5 pancake lens developed in LR 3 taken in church lighting (changed the Code re above question)

16. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool

URC Huyton by penipics, on Flickr

ISO 1600 pancake lens available lighting dull outside

17. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
  18. Pete

Pete TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 12, 2011
    Thanks penny... Great shooting and really show the capabilities this camera has.
    Pete

19. Penny

Penny TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Liverpool
    I've never been 'one' for using high ISO on any camera but I don't like Flash it 'drains' the colour unless set up correctly.
    Am pleased with these first efforts with this camera at high ISO..hopefully more to come.

20. robertmwilliams

robertmwilliams TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Here is one I snapped for no real reason at ISO1600 f/3.5 with a Micro-Nikkor-P 55mm macro.
    Peaking worked great with this manual focus lens, even in this dim lighting.
    It was actually darker than this photos makes it seem. Love the low light abilities of the NEX-5n

6202608062_7e940d52f4_z.
    Dixie - 1 - NEX-5N - Micro-Nikkor-P Auto 55mm f 3.5 by Robert M. Williams, on Flickr