• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Show: Motorcycles

shawn595

TalkEmount Rookie
Love the reflections on the mirrors :thumbup:

Thanks! My wife really liked that too. I almost deleted that image because I was disappointed at how low the perspective was relative to what I wanted to achieve. Now I'm glad that I didn't.

My luggage for the bike arrived on Monday, so I had to go for a ride yesterday. Here are a few pictures. The bottom one turned out a little too blue. Still learning my way around this photography and image editing stuff... I've fixed it, but haven't uploaded it because my house lacks a high speed internet connection. :frown:

_DSC2458.jpg
   ---            

_DSC2472.jpg
   ---            

The circular polarizer for my main lens (30mm Sigma F2.8) should be here tomorrow, and I'll definitely need to try that out. I suspect you guys are going to get sick of looking at my bike...

SpaceManSpiff

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric
@Shawn595 --where are these pictures taken? Sharp looking bike, btw.

Is it just me or is it interesting that many of us appear to be on ADV type bikes? Coincidence? I think not.

I finally took a picture with a motorcycle in it that I am pretty happy with.

Exploring the Los Padres NF (taken with 1650 kit lens)
DSC05163-1-L.jpg
NEX-6    E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS    16mm    f/7.1    1/1000s    ISO 100

A fun attempt at night photography (near Joshua Tree, taken with Sigma30)
DSC05875-1-L.jpg
NEX-6    E 30mm F2.8    30mm    f/2.8    25s    ISO 800

shawn595

TalkEmount Rookie
@ Woodworks: LOL!! My dad rides a Harley and he's always embarrassed by how dirty my bike is... I've tried to explain the "adventure bike" mentality to him, but he's not getting it.

@ SpaceManSpiff I took that picture at the Smith Mountain Lake Community park in Franklin County. I grew up in that area, but yesterday was the first time I've ever been to that park. And I never actually went inside. It was already closed when I got there. Here's another pic.

_DSC2464.jpg
   ---            

You have a LOT to be proud of with those two pictures. I really like the colors in the top one, and I have to ask how you took the bottom one. I'm assuming you used a tripod. If so, do you recommend it? I've been looking for a tripod that fits in my boxes because I'd love to try long exposure photography. (I'm ass-uming that photo was taken with a shutter speed that required a tripod.)

Great looking bike, btw! Yamaha Super Tenere?

SpaceManSpiff

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric
Haha! It actually was a good thing it was dark when I took that picture of my pretty darn super SuperTen because by that time I had two road trips worth of dust/dirt and bug guts on it.

Aha, I like Washington...some areas remind me of Scandinavia.

The bottom one was taken in moonlight, at ISO 800 at f/2.8 with an 25 second exposure on a tripod (in retrospect I probably should have put on my 50 1.4 and re-framed the shot). I have tried a couple of hand-held night shots before and it just doesn't work. Yeah sure I used a tripod--an Alpen table-top tripod. Do I recommend the tripod? Absolutely not. Being a table-top tripod it expects to already be on a level surface (or used on a hood of a car with a spotting scope and then it doesn't matter if it is level), and it is really difficult to get it level (you can't adjust the legs)...so I had to pile a bunch of sand/rocks underneath one or two of the legs to get it oriented in a way that I wanted it...but that was a PITA and not particularly stable.

I am considering getting a lightweight tripod like the MeFoto RoadTrip (15.4" folded up) for general use and hopefully it will be compact for motorcycle traveling also. They also make a smaller model, the Backpacker (12.6" folded) that is more compact, but not quite as versatile.
http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx
http://www.mefoto.com/products/roadtrip.aspx

HTH

shawn595

TalkEmount Rookie
That helps a LOT. I really like the look of the RoadTrip. Seems like it would meet my needs perfectly. I just need to save up for it.

SpaceManSpiff

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric
This thread is way too buried!
Post #87 is a great HERO shot of the F800GS. I liked the F800GS ADV I sat on at the IMS show last weekend.

The IMS show in Phoenix was fun...there seemed to more of a feeling of new energy in the industry than during the worst recession years. Knowing it was going to be packed with people I just used my SEL50 and managed a couple pictures that I like (it was a fun challenge as it is difficult to compose a shot without someone's random body part in the frame). I test rode a couple of bikes just for grins and reference...a Victory 8-ball and Yamaha's FZ-07. Both were fun and impressive...but no pictures).

The Victory I rode was a nicely done all in black, but this one was a little more photogenic
DSC00846-1-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/2.5    1/4000s    ISO 400

Jason Britten put on a really good stunt show.
DSC08965-4-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/2.5    1/2000s    ISO 100

Although most of the action was aimed at the other end of the stunting area, Jason's co-stunter was nice enough to do a stoppie for me at the turn-around area.
DSC08992-5-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/3.5    1/1000s    ISO 100

Inside the stadium (Westworld in Scottsdale), lighting was tricky with limited sunlight but hundreds of fluorescent lights really high in the ceiling. Apparenty, this years trendy paint involves something I can only describe as 'egg-shell' a weird near matte with a vaguely pebbly finish. Hard for me to photograph well.

Luckily, this Kawasaki was showing off its carbon fiber. The Kawi rep had a contemplative look --understandable as any motorcycle with 300hp that will be sold to the public should.
DSC09041-13-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/1.8    1/80s    ISO 320

Not my style of motorcycle, but visually interesting
DSC09039-12-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/1.8    1/80s    ISO 320

I enjoyed trying to capture the paint work of the custom bikes.
This Harley Road King was quite regal.
DSC00860-2-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/1.8    1/100s    ISO 100

I really dug the paint scheme of this Star (Yamaha) Bolt
DSC09030-1-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/1.8    1/160s    ISO 100

The paint on this custom was wild and I could only stand a portion of it at a time.
DSC09025-9-L.jpg
"NEX-6"    "E 50mm F1.8 OSS"    50mm    f/1.8    1/80s    ISO 200

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Oh... You're a VERY bad man, Eric. This time of year, when I can't get in much (if any) riding, and I'm leafing through motorcycle mags, ogling all the fancy, new (and expensive!) bikes coming in the market... Posts like yours don't help at all! ;)

SpaceManSpiff

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric
Oh... You're a VERY bad man, Eric. This time of year, when I can't get in much (if any) riding, and I'm leafing through motorcycle mags, ogling all the fancy, new (and expensive!) bikes coming in the market... Posts like yours don't help at all! ;)

David, I am here to help! :D Is that picture of you and buddy from Lolo Pass?

southy

TalkEmount Veteran
Great shots there, southy! I know you're running out of summer down there. But I'll enjoy living vicariously through you while it lasts. :drinks:

Winter is when riding session kicks in for us offroaders down here. Way too hot in summer.

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
DFB MC 3-15-15  1.jpg
   ---            
DFB MC 3-15-15  2.jpg
   ---            
DFB MC 3-15-15  3.jpg
   ---            
DFB MC 3-15-15  4.jpg
   ---            
DFB MC 3-15-15  5.jpg
   ---            

TonyTurley

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm not a bike guy, but I love the motorcycle and landscape shots. I used to long to get a motorcycle, but fear kept me at bay. I still think having one for casual riding would be fun, but I see so much aggressive driving, it would probably hasten my exit from this mortal coil.

Latest threads

Top Bottom