Should we be jealous, upset or indifferent?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WestOkid, Dec 19, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I opened the photography feed in Flipboard and saw a PetaPixel article, "Fujifilm Firmware Updates Add Big New Features to the X-T1, X-E2, X-E1, and X-Pro1".

I initially saw the bit about getting new in-camera film presets. That was nice, but since I shoot raw, I I was indifferent. Then I saw the rest of the release notes and became jealous and ultimately upset. They are adding "real" features to these cameras. Sony wants us to buy new cameras for new features, while Fuji rewards existing customers for their loyalty with upgrades all the time. How many of us wouldn't love to get a silent shutter for Christmas?

"In addition to the same Classic Chrome film look as the X-E2, the X-T1 gets a new fully electronic shutter feature that ups the maximum shutter speed to 1/32000sec and provides a completely silent shooting experience.

There’s also a Natural Live View function that shows you a view that’s “close to the naked eye,” EVF/LCD color control, direct selection of focus areas, unlocked AE-L/AF-L buttons, variable focus area during manual focus, a faster selection of macro mode, Q. Menu customization, new video frame rates (50/25/24p), manual shooting in video mode, and a whole lot more." In all they added 21 new features to the XT-1.

• Like Like x 5
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I hate to say this and to admit it, but its something I've been thinking for a while now (after the release of the X-T1)

....Fuji seems to be "getting it"! Bravo to them :thumbup:

• Like Like x 4
  3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Yeah, that is upsetting. When you think that Apple has been pumping out major updates to both their Mac and iOS system software for free for the last few years, you have to wonder why Sony can't even give us a few minor feature improvements. I'd kill for a silent shutter on my A7.

• Like Like x 3
  4. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    I am going to have to go with jealous and upset on this one. Rather than just trying to snare new customers, it would be nice if Sony rewarded their existing customers (with new features via firmware updates) rather than encouraging them to buy a new body every year.

• Like Like x 3
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Amen! :thumbup:

Sony should sit down and take notes. THIS is how you build a loyal customer base and establish yourself as a true camera player

• Like Like x 2