1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I take a6000 to Universal Orlando?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by pworden, Dec 31, 2014.

1. pworden

pworden TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I've never been to this theme park, or Disney for that matter. Will be there at the end of next month for the Harry Potter event, 3 days. I'd like to take pictures better than the iPhone, but not sure if it's practical. If you've been there, what would you advise? I could use 24mm, 35mm or 18-105 which might be just too big. Thanks!

2. mikefromli

mikefromli TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2014
    Long Island, NY USA
    Michael
    i am going myself end of feb/march debating my new rig or my lesser cannon sx280 (mini superzoom)

3. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    For me, it's either my a6000 or the iPhone 5S. I don't know if it's practical to take my camera on rides, not planning a lot of that, but again I don't know what to expect.

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I did the Universal with Canon T3i and 17-50/2.8. There's plenty of great photo ops. I had a family member to hold the camera when I went on the rides with kids, but something the size of A6000 should not be a problem.

18-105 would be a perfect lens for this trip - you surely need a bit of reach as well as the ability to go wide. But it's too large to have on you if you get on a roller coaster, so unless you have someone who won't be joining and will hold the camera for you, I'd get a 18-55 instead, it's much lighter and easier to control. At 55 mm you should be able to crop to get you a "virtual" 100 mm. Couple this with 24mm for low light and you are set.

I would definitely kick myself if all I had was the iPhone. Especially if you're trying to take photos of your kids on a ride.

5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Why would you not?

Most smartphones now can take pretty nice images, but still not as nice as you A6000.

6. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    If you don't take the 6000..... you're going to wish you did.

I'd take the 35 as the lens, get a Black Rapid style sling (doesn't have to be a BR) and be done with it.

Set the camera on AUTO and enjoy yourself.

Have fun!

7. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks all! Yes, I love the 18-105 but thought probably too big. I don't have the 18-55 and sold the 16-50 long ago. I think I'll pack the 35 and maybe the 8mm fisheye, get a weather bag just in case and check out the sling bag. Ted, I think you're right, I'd regret it if I didn't take the Sony – would always wonder what might have been. Looking forward to getting pictures of Hogwarts! Maybe some actors, too. We've got the package that includes the special events with the ones that played Dumbledore, Weasley twins, Hagrid, Luna... should be fun!

8. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    My 5S is pretty good, but I'm actually faster with my Sony at this point, at least when decent results are figured in. I made a case mistake with the 5S though. I bought a lesser-known battery case and it ruins flash pictures.

9. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    The only time the size becomes an issue is when you're going on some of the roller coaster style rides where you end up flying upside down strapped to a small chair. A6000 + 18-105 may be a bit too large to securely strap to your chest. However, I went onto Mummy ride with my whole backpack. I think you can rent a locker once inside, and deposit your camera before some of the more extreme rides. On the majority of rides, I was able to take my camera along.

OTOH, browsing through my album from our Orlando visit, it seems the vast majority of shots over 35mm were portraits. I have a whole lot of them, probably 60%, and most are in the 35-50mm range. So if you're primarily interested in scenery, a 2-primes combo should suffice, as long as you don't have the kids to run after (which severely hampers your ability to change lenses).

I'd still suggest getting a used 1855, they run less than $100. In settings like Universal, versatility often trumps fast aperture of a single prime. Or at the very least, take 18-105 with you and put it in one of these protective pouches that have long straps. This way you could just take it off & put it on you like a small bag for the ride, it is not THAT large.

Also, assuming you have the 35/1.8 and 24/1.8, wouldn't 24mm be more useful than 35 in such setting ? Unless you really need that OSS.

10. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Lots to consider! Priority has to be the park activities, photos next. My only companion will be my 29-year-old daughter so no chasing kids around unless she goes bonkers meeting the actors :)

11. mikefromli

mikefromli TalkEmount Regular

Dec 29, 2014
    Long Island, NY USA
    Michael
    I will have the grandparents and stroller for storage and will flip between the a6000 and my cannon sx280 pas whic is pretty good for what is is and heck an underwater cam for the pool and or water rides (lummix)

12. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Cool. We'll have to post our shots after vacation. I'm now checking eBay for 18-55, thanks Amamba... ;)

13. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    I looked at that sling - great! Will definitely order that. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  14. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
  15. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Thanks! The pictures on this listing show how it works very well!

16. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    My only issue with slings like this one is none seem to be designed for a mirrorless camera, they are wide & really add to the bulk when stored.

You could achieve a similar (if not as easy to swivel) setup by simply attaching both ends of the Sony sling to just one hook on the camera.

17. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
  18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Stuff a plastic grocery bag in the sling, or in your pocket. Maybe a ziplock bag. Adds padding to the sling bag, and it never hurts to have a little cover. We live about 45 minutes from the parks, I'd shoot 80% with the little PZ16-50, the rest with the 55-210. I have the 50, I just hate switching lenses on the fly like that. Let the decision be determined by the light you'll see. Staying late? Take the 50 or 35. Enjoy the trip first... your life's work and defining image won't likely come from here. Not that it couldn't, but I'd enjoy the family time, that's much more valuable.

Also, if you travel a lot... Old-School Bag Trick #1... try gluing two rear lens caps together. Makes it easy to find the smaller lenses in the bag quickly, and less caps rolling around. Old-School Bag Trick #2... soft-sided koozies make great lens sleeves (though now a little loose for E-mount sometimes).

19. pworden

Aug 26, 2013
    State College, PA
    Patti
    Great suggestions, those last two, brilliant! The sling strap I bought doesn't have a pouch or anything to put a bag into, but I have it rigged so camera can slip in an inside jacket pocket - I'll stuff my rainsleeve in there.

20. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Oh... and WE ARE!!