Should I sell my A7s?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by bmg123, Sep 10, 2016.

1. bmg123

bmg123 TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Right so I'm in a pickle. I have enough money to do one thing or another; either I can sell my A7s, buy an A7rii and stick with the same lenses I have at the moment (2870 kit lens and a few cheap vintage copies) or I can keep my A7s and buy a the 90mm G macro lens.
    I'm struggling to decide because I'd like to have the extra resolution of the A7rii for landscapes and better photos overall, but I'd also be stuck with lenses that probably won't resolve the detail anyway. If I do stick with the A7s now however, I'll be hindered by 12 megapixels which I feel is killing the detail in my landscapes right now, but that could also be down to my cheap lenses.
    So what I'm asking really is, can the A7s pull off decent landscapes if paired with an expensive lens? Also bear in mind I use my A7s for video so I won't want to compromise on that, it's a tough decision!

2. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    Are you using the high ISO capabilities of the A7S? If not, I'd switch especially if you're doing landscapes.

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I'm pretty sure that the 28-70mm lens will disappoint on the A7R2; I ditched it while using the A7. Important question: what vintage lenses do you have? They might perform well enough on the A7R2 and very probably will be good enough to make the A7S the limiting factor in terms of resolution.

4. bmg123

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Maxing out at 10,000 for most situations, and very rarely

Only a few cheap ones, a Chinon 50mm f/1.8, Helios 50mm f/2.0 and a Miranda 70-200 (which is even soft looking on the A7s). These are all lenses that cost under £40 so none are likely to make use of the A7rii

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Wouldn't be too sure of that. The Chinon 1.8/50 will most probably perform very well on the A7R2 at apertures around f/8 which to me is appropriate for landscapes.

6. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    If you can I would suggest going to a store and tryimpg your lenses on a store body. For what it's worth I kept my original A7 kit lens and on the r2 it it fine at f5.6 it is very sharp at any length .I have plenty of portrait images where the eye lashes are as sharp as you could ever want

I also had a few pentax lenses most of which I have now traded but kept a couple due to their sharpness and rendition of colour.

Re your question I would suggest buy the lens, it will give you a whole new very very sharp set of images at 90 mm plus the macro availability as well.
    The higher 42 mp sensor on a r2 will indeed allow you to crop in or print huge images that the 12 mp will not, BUT if you don't print over A3+ size 12 is more than enough and you have the amazing low light capability of the 7s to make use of

7. bmg123

Jan 15, 2013
    England, UK
    Thanks for the input guys. I think for now I may stick with the A7s and buy the 90mm Macro so I have something for portraits that's sharp in my kit, then hopefully swap it out for an A7rii by the end of the year. If only I had unlimited money I'd just have it all!

8. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    Alistair
    Best choice I think, good lenses never ever are a bad buy, and last for years, new bodies ara always comming out

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    +1 the Chinon 50mm f/1.8 would work well on an A7Rii. These Tomioka-made lenses have a strong following for there resolution and rendering.
    The Helios depends on which version. Newer releases (44M-6+) are sharp, while the older ones have that signature swirl bokeh. Still usable with 42Mpx to create unique portraits.

I think adding a native lens and putting off a body purchase is a good decision too. The macro will give you options in other venues with AF capability.
    But don't dismiss other legacy lens options. Landscape photography is perfectly fine with manual focus.
    With the A7s, you can try portrait orientation and stitch a series of shots for your landscapes if there are no scene movement. This will yield a greater pixel image in the meantime.

10. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well, the A7Rii is a monster thats for sure. You will get 4K video and in Super35 mode it has great high ISO. Also do not that the A7Rii when all things are equal (you scale the 42MP to 12MP like the A7Sii), then they are about equal up to 51200 ISO as it has been tested. For example in this video:

Got to minute 3:30 if you just want to watch that test.
    With that said, I had the kit lens and sold it in little time. Just didnt do anything for me so that makes it a tough decision. :/

11. robbie36

robbie36 TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 21, 2014
    Why not get the 24mp A7ii (instead of the A7rii). Then you will have enough left over for the kit lens and 90 macro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I'd say it primarily depends on what you're doing with your files. I wouldn't be too happy with 12MP for any serious stuff anymore, especially when it comes to larger prints - not only for landscapes but also portraits and other subjects. OTOH I'm 100% fine with 24MP (and fine glass) for pretty much everything I shoot and print- YMMV.