1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I replace my Nex-6 with either A6000 or A6300 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Amamba, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I don't shoot much action, don't have an extensive collection of autofocus lenses from other manufacturers, and lately find myself reaching for the kit lens more often than not out of sheer convenience.

What I do want :

1) High ISO performance that's at least the same or better as Nex-6

2) Auto ISO so that I could set minimal A and S and have the camera adjust ISO as needed.

3) Better focusing with my lenses. In the order of preference (a) less hunting in the dark (b) improved accuracy (do both cameras have eye detection and is it reliable ?) and (c) faster.

4) Reliable video. Nex-6 has been pretty solid with no overheating and I'd like to keep it that way with the new body.

5) Faster startup times with 18105 and Sigma 30.

6) Better capacity for cropping (larger sensor).

7) Ideally, better AWB.

There's nothing wrong with my Nex-6, it's only got just over 18K actuations and can probably last me another three years. So it's more of "would it do me any good" thinking.

The three most important reasons to upgrade for me would be 2,3 and 5, with 1 and 4 being the necessary preconditions.

The second question is, would I get any benefit from using A6300 if I have no desire to use Canon or Nikon AF glass with adapters ?

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I upgraded from the NEX-6 to the A6000 primarily for the improved AF. The improved menu system and extra customizable buttons are a blessing.

The NEX-6 is already pretty good.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  3. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    I'll make you a really good deal on a Nex-7 but I'm not sure it meets all of your requirements.

4. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Probably not... but thanks anyway,

5. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    No problem. I use it mainly as a safe way to carry a spare lens/adapter and battery for my A7ii.
    Works as a backup camera too. :biggrin:

6. rbelyell

rbelyell TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2015
    imo, while the 6000x may be fine cameras, the 24mp sensor renders differently than the nex6. first, im not sure you get an iso upgrade because more pixels packed into the same sized sensor typically equals more high iso noise.

however, im not even there. im just talking good ol' everyday rendering differences. i had an rx1. i loved the resolution. i didnt love the rendering. now i have and am very happy with an nex6. no right or wrong, it really just depends on what your eye sees.

7. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    DXO measured half a stop improvement from nex-6 to A6300 in high ISO and dynamic range:
    Sony A6300 vs Sony NEX-6 | DxOMark

Latest Sony cameras also have min shutter speed, so it is one of the most useful additions for me...

8. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Since you are mentioning the A6300 I assume is not a budget issue going for it so THAT would be my recommendation. Not that the A6000 is not an improvement over the NEX-6, it is for its cleaner video for example and even single focus Eye AF BUT to experience better high ISO, the A6300 will be the one as it behaves similar to the A7Rii in regards to the ISO gain (I am not saying it is the same ISO as the A7Rii, just the behavior of it).
    Also the A6300 improves on the A6000 ISO specially in the shadows when the A6000 may turn into purple cast, the A6300 remains black.
    It also has Continuous Eye AF and the 4K video is fantastic. The AF is simply amazing as well, even compared to regular DSLRs like the 80D.
    If you have the budget, that one will provide the best improvement in many areas for you.
    Regards

9. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I upgraded earlier this year from NEX-6 to A6000. I would agree that if you are going to upgrade and budget is not a concern, the A6300 would be the one to get as it is the clear successor to the A6000 and has some advantages. For me the price differential was not worth it.

The Nex-6 is still a fine camera. My upgrade was partly about usability, and the newer menus and better customizability is something I appreciated. The min/max ISO is there. Focusing I am not sure if it is faster or not, and I have not experimented with eye focus. Video seems at least as good. I do think the EVF is not quite as good, and I miss the level (why Sony why?). Image wise, I was surprised how much I noticed the 16->24mp increase, especially as you point out when cropping. But even regular IQ is improved to my eye.

I do not regret the upgrade. It was not strictly needed, as I said the Nex-6 is still a fine camera, but I am glad I did it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    If you do decide to go for it I think the A6300 is worth considering over the A6000 if you can justify the premium.
    I have the A6000 but have recently bought a used A6300 (I'm offshore now so not played with it yet).
    For me and what I use them for the A6300 was worth getting. A few of the features that made me decide were... improved AF (mainly CAF) as I use the 70-300 to photograph birds and some action, improved sensor giving less shadow noise and slightly better high ISO (when shooting with the 70-300 I use high shutter speeds and f8 so invariably the ISO can creep up), the option to set a minimum shutter speed with auto ISO, level meter (and auto rotation of photos when viewing photos you have taken), the stronger magnesium body (the 70-300 may put a bit of stress on the mount), weather resistance and improved view finder.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

With that list of pre-conditions and requirements I'd probably go for an A6300 as well but since ...

... I'm not sure how much sense that'd make.
    In my case (NEX-7, all manual, RAW exclusively, no video) apart from the slightly better low-light performance not too much and I'd rather opt for an A7II. In your case though that would mean extra $$$ or even $$$$ for new glass. Tough decision - good luck!

12. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I would upgrade from a nex-6 but I would choose the a6000 over the a6300 and I would save the extra $$$ and buy a lens instead :)

13. Amamba

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I can afford A6300 but I think I'd be paying for all the features I don't need.

I want the smallest package with good IQ, and improved AF and usability, not the package with the best IQ.

And because of the portability requirement, I have no intention to use high-end CaNikon glass - so there goes one of the best advantages A6300 is supposed to have.

Nex-6 is still pretty good, but every now and then I wish I had Auto-ISO in M.

Looks like A6000 can be found used for $400, A6300 is more than double that... so the question is, would I use all these features.

OTOH, A6300 is more "future proof" and if it's significantly better in low light and AF accuracy than A6000, perhaps I should be seriously considering it.

14. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    At the prices used A6000s are currently going, I think the upgrade is well worth it.

For me, for what the A6300 costs, I'd be looking at a used A7-series body, but that is a bigger body, and brings with it other issues like possibly needing new lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    Maybe, but it depends on what you are shooting.
    If you are using a long lens to shoot birds and wildlife etc, sometimes a crop sensor camera is better as you get the extra reach.
    Say you use the A6000 or 6300 with the 70-300 at 300mm and the bird is just the right size in the photo without any post cropping, then you have a 24Mp photo of the bird. If you used the A7R2 in crop mode (or post cropped the image) you end up with an image just under 17Mp, using a 24Mp FF sensor (A7 or A7Mk2) the cropped image would only have a resolution of around 10-12Mp so sometimes a cropped sensor body is the better choice.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. bdbits

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Good point. One reason I have not gone full-frame is the "extra reach" of the crop sensor.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I think a lot of us feel the same. The A6300 has some nice improvements over the A6000, but nothing that justifies the doubling in price. For some these features are exactly what they want and it is worth it, but not for me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

Very valid point.

19. alainib

alainib TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 20, 2013
    montpellier france
    alain
    i'm also wanting to update my nex-6 to a6000 only for the AF speed. with sigma 30mm 1.4 and sel50mm f1.8 there is a lot of hunting in dark condition with nex6 (taking like 3 secondes to focus, i will be faster with manual lens) . Did the a6000 improve that or i have to go to a6300 and break the bank for that ? thanks

20. TedG954

TedG954 TalkEmount All-Pro

Nov 29, 2014
    South Florida and NE Ohio
    Ted Gersdorf
    In my experience, you've already decided to "upgrade". Your heart just hasn't convinced your brain yet. My advice...... just do it.