1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I get an adapter for EACH of my lenses? If so, which is the "Best"

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Synomis192, May 29, 2013.

1. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    So I just received my 3 lenses: MD 28mm f/2.8, MD 50mm f/1.7, and MD 135mm f/2.8

I only ordered one MD to NEX adapter, should I get two more adapters or can I just switch them out when I need to.

Anyone know any good, long lasting MD adapters?

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I don't think you need three adapters for three MD lenses. Just let the adapter on the camera and only change the lens if you go from one MD lens to another, or otherwise fiddle around a bit. It's worth it in my opinion when considering the weight, space and money saved.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have one for each as I swap between MD lenses and E Mounts. Just easier to remove the whole thing than have to stash the lens and adapter.

I can see the other point of view though.

4. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    I just have one. I have almost 15 minolta lenses so it would get kinda expensive to get adapters for all of them...not to mention the extra size/bulk they would add. And since I very rarely use anything but legacy lenses, having one has worked out fine for me.

5. dshin525

dshin525 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 4, 2013
    Oh an in terms of which is best...I got mine for $20 or so from rainbow imaging via amazon and it's been great.
    I am thinking about picking up one from Kipon. A little more expensive ($70) b/c it's aesthetically more pleasing and just to try something new. But I may hold off and get focal reducer-speed booster kind once the price comes down a little.

6. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    It's purely a atter of convenience and economy. I bought a Novoflex adapter for about 120 euros but it was faulty. Then I bought a Kiwi brand adapter. I find it slightly better manufactured than the no-name adapters. I have two adapters and more lenses. It's no big deal changing the lens on the adapter.

7. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^+1

I have 8 Minolta MD lenses and 8 adapters (1 for each lens always mounted on the lenses). Ok, it surely adds size but FOR ME its more convinient when swapping lenses on my Nex and I feel like constantly removing the adapters and re-mounting them would cause them to "weaken"...
    Plus, adapters aren't too expensive ;)

I had the same question when I was about to buy my 1st MD adapter (expensive vs cheap) and I ended up buying the cheap one after suggestions from our forum members. Glad I did. Never had a problem with either one. So, I've always bought the same/from the same seller ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170766921962?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649 )

;)

8. Synomis192

Synomis192 TalkEmount Regular

May 26, 2013
    I think I like having the ability to switch lens fast :D Thanks for the heads up, I just have to find a seller that's located in the US.

9. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    My $18 Rainbow Imaging MD adapter is the smoothest working of all the adapters I have. Cheap enough to buy for multiple lenses, but at least on mine, the lens mount is smooth enough that I have no particular need to.

I don't currently own multiple adapters in the same mount. I have been tempted after situations where I often had to change the adapter on the camera, then the lens on the adapter. (May not sound like a herculean labor but it does get kind of clumsy.)

Now my wider lenses are all e-mount (19, 24, 30) and I usually roam with just one adapted longer lens.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    As far as quality goes, I have seen No difference between the original $30.00 adapter I bought and the subsequent $8-10.00 ones.

I literally can not tell which one is the expensive one, and which one is the cheap ones without looking closely.

11. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    There are subtle differences. It could be the material, such as brass versus aluminium. Or the coating peeling off and ending up on the sensor. Or bad precision causing snagging or loose connections.

I think it's up to everyone how much they want to spend. But adapters are relatively cheap anyway so I don't mind spending a little bit more for peace of mind.

The two worst adapters I got was the cheapest one (loose screws) and the most expensive one (stuck locking mechanism), so that taught me to get the mid-priced ones ;)

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have a Fotga MD to Nex adapter and it's fine. Some people complained of excessive force required to remove the lens but I think it's light enough where lenses can be exchanged in place with some caution. I may end up getting a second adapter as I now have 3 different lenses in MD mount. It depends if I like that 50/1.7 enough to use it often. I wouldn't buy an adapter for every lens.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

13. Purushotham Racharla

Purushotham Racharla TalkEmount Rookie

Mar 7, 2013
    Bangalore, India.
    Purushotham Racharla
    I have one EOS-NEX adaptor and I converted all my lenses(PK-mount, M42-Mount etc) to EOS. Since most lenses have EOS adaptors available, I found this a simpler option. I leave EOS adaptors on the respective lenses permanently though they are removable. Several of the adaptors I have are home made by modifying M42-EOS adaptor or using EOS body caps. The look and perform as good as Bought out ones. The only exception being Minolta lenses for which I have seperate MD-NEX adaptor.

But I have even tried out making adaptors for this my self using EOS body cap. Provided the particular lense can be adjusted for infinity focus witout machining this idea works. OR you may forget about infinity focus and have a cheap home made adaptor.

For converting other lenses from rangefinders such as Yashica Electro 35 I have used C moiunt-NEX adaptor.

See my hobby and wotk on flicker here the Purush's photosets on Flickr

14. Selten

Selten TalkEmount Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Rhineland, Germany
    Lusi
    When I started building my collection, I did not even think about getting lenses from just one manufacturer, so consequently I ended up with a nearly even amount of both. Although now the balance has tipped in favour of lenses (ca. 2 to 1) I still have not decided whether I want to get a seprate adapter one for each lens.

Some adapters are from rainbowimaging and some are cheap ones from ebay. So far I have not been able to see the difference, though I may need to adjust my Pentax-Nex one. What could really motivate me to buy more adapters is to get ones with tripod mounts for the bigger/heavier lenses...