Should I buy them ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have an opportunity to buy Minolta Maxxum 50/1.7 and 28-85 for $50 together.

According to the seller they are in great shape.

I used to have 50/1.7 briefly, while it's a great lens, SEL50 is better in most areas.

Don't know anything about 28-85, looks like it's fairly large and heavy and not as good optically as 35-70.

Anyone knows anything about this lens ?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I have had 3 of the AF 28-85 F3.5-4.5 since 1988 and still have 2.

I took zillions of pictures with this lens model. It isa nice compromise at low price. The 35-70 performs slightly better due to its more limited range.

It requires an aperture of F 5.6 at the short end and F 8 at the long end ( i usually used F 6.7 across the zoom range) to maximize sharpness
    It may be prone to some flare at wider settings of focal length and aperture but to me it was the ultimate walk-around lens of the time.
    It may show some low distortion levels at 28mm but for general use, it is barely noticeable.

See a torture test of this lens here: Dirty lens article

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I have the MD version of the 28-85 and frankly IQ is not as great as the MD 35-70, it also feels way heavier and slightly unbalanced on the nex-6 (its ok on the a7 though) but for me its a more convinient FL coverage on aps-c and also on FF...

Not very useful to your question, sorry :) 

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks for replies.

Seems like 28-85 isn't up to the standard of 35-70 and I already have the 18-105 for a general walkaround.

I'll see if the seller is willing to only part with 50mm.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.