1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Should I buy them ?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Amamba, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I have an opportunity to buy Minolta Maxxum 50/1.7 and 28-85 for $50 together.

According to the seller they are in great shape.

I used to have 50/1.7 briefly, while it's a great lens, SEL50 is better in most areas.

Don't know anything about 28-85, looks like it's fairly large and heavy and not as good optically as 35-70.

Anyone knows anything about this lens ?

2. michelb

michelb TalkEmount Regular

Oct 27, 2013
    Greater Montreal area in Quebec, Canada
    Michel Brien
    I have had 3 of the AF 28-85 F3.5-4.5 since 1988 and still have 2.

I took zillions of pictures with this lens model. It isa nice compromise at low price. The 35-70 performs slightly better due to its more limited range.

It requires an aperture of F 5.6 at the short end and F 8 at the long end ( i usually used F 6.7 across the zoom range) to maximize sharpness
    It may be prone to some flare at wider settings of focal length and aperture but to me it was the ultimate walk-around lens of the time.
    It may show some low distortion levels at 28mm but for general use, it is barely noticeable.

See a torture test of this lens here: Dirty lens article

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I have the MD version of the 28-85 and frankly IQ is not as great as the MD 35-70, it also feels way heavier and slightly unbalanced on the nex-6 (its ok on the a7 though) but for me its a more convinient FL coverage on aps-c and also on FF...

Not very useful to your question, sorry :)

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Thanks for replies.

Seems like 28-85 isn't up to the standard of 35-70 and I already have the 18-105 for a general walkaround.

I'll see if the seller is willing to only part with 50mm.