1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shots with NEX-C3 and 1980-era Nikkor 50mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by larrytxeast, Mar 5, 2013.

1. larrytxeast

larrytxeast TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 23, 2013
    A former Olympus E-PM1 (and E-PL1) user, I've only had my Sony NEX-C3 kit (with 18-55mm) for a week today. Right after it arrived, I ordered a "Fotga" NEX to Nikon (G) adapter (works with new "G" lenses or classic AI/AI-S manual-focus lenses, cost like $10), it finally arrived today, so I mounted my old Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 manual-focus, it's one I got about 2½ years ago at a garage sale for $5 mounted on a broken Nikon FM2 35mm SLR body. It's ugly as my in-laws but works fine. According to the serial number it was made around 1980.

Here are 2 shots I took of my son with it today. There is SERIOUS bokeh going on, especially with the 1st one which was shot at f/2 and only 4 feet away (the second one was also about 4 feet away but shot at f/2.8)--yet I managed to get the eyes in focus (and without using my Loupe), not a bad job if I do say so myself. Shot in RAW+Fine/Large JPEG, the RAWs were used & edited in Lightroom 3.5 and Photoshop CS2:

large.

large.

I did have manual-focus assist on as well, also used focus peaking. Sometimes the peaking lines didn't outline the eyes, which were the priority (insufficient contrast?), zooming in to 15x helped with that. That said, the focus peaking definitely helped, and even regarding the magnified view set-up it worked FAR better than when I used this lens on my Olympus E-PM1, I could see details way better and toggling between "normal" and "magnified" view was far more fluid.

I also have a Canon FD to NEX adapter on the way, as well as a Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 I paid about $25 for. I'm looking forward to seeing how that works.

One week moving from the Olympus system to the NEX-C3, so far I'm enjoying it very much.

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Very nice and your son is addorable ;)

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Very nice, and a cute model.

Only comment is that the shots are a bit pale for my taste.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm. The first one might be slightly over-exposed. But those reds and blues in the 2nd shot look plenty saturated on my calibrated monitor. Could your brightness be turned up a bit too high, Dave?

5. larrytxeast

Feb 23, 2013
    For some reason, yesterday my monitor seemed quite dim. My PC sometimes doesn't boot up correctly in terms of loading drivers (sometimes it fails to detect the network card). It may have caused me to goof up how I edited the shot, although the images still look pretty much okay today. The monitor looks fine today, so I may re-edit them.

By the way, how do you edit the signature applied at the end of each posting you post? (The "signature" you see in here is just me typing "free form" the same as everything else.)

LRH
    Sony NEX-C3, 18-55mm, manual-focus Nikon Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 (early 80s) with "G" adapter; awaiting arrival: Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 and FD adapter
    Nikon D5100, 18-105mm VR, 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Up at the top of the browser window, Click on Settings, then My Settings, then Edit Signature. Easy, Peasy.

7. larrytxeast

Feb 23, 2013
    Easy peasy indeed. It makes me feel quite dumb, ha ha.