Shots in Low light : Rokkor 50mm f1.4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by freddytto, Jul 16, 2013.

1. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Minolta Rokkor PG 50mm f1.4, When I started using MF (legacy lenses) began with the Rokkor MD X 50mm f1.7 , after using it a few times I turned addicted to glass legacy.

The focus is a dream, soft because you gets faster the focus thanks to the waffle-pattern rubber grip, this lems offering you perfect contrast and fenomemal sharpness , either for use in B / W or color. Now the heavy the 50mm f1.4 is my hero, this is an excellent handbook focus lens from the 1970s, but features very little barrel distortion, but in the PP could fix, I read that is better than the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 and some other Nifty Fifty.

It's sharp at all apertures. It's a little less contrasty at f/1.4, but starting from f / 2 begins to roar. I'm a street shooter and like to walk around the city, a couple of months ago entered the challenge to do more photography at night and see what my nex7 is capable of doing with this lens in low light conditions.

All shots were on Raw so after export in LR is always got some grain, maybe I need to learn more and i know that Cs6 would do a better job but I get laziness use by the interface of Cs6.

New York City by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

New York City987 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Wow. What a great set, Freddy. How you manage to get such beautifully composed, candid shots of the people of your city is a marvel to me. You must be invisible!
  3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Another amazing set. Nice job with these. :)
  4. claude

claude TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 13, 2013
    Ottawa Canada
    Again very cool photos.
  5. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
  6. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Way to rock the legacy glass! :D
  7. ecaggiani

ecaggiani TalkEmount Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    San Jose, CA
    Ed Caggiani
    These are quite impressive. I particularly love the colors (hot dog cart is vivid, and I love the diner shot). Very nice!
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    Incredible timing in these captures. I also like the way you use selective sharpness. Great stuff.
  9. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Freddy, I would like to travel to NYC only because I see your photos... Nice nightlife shots.

But on photo with yellow cup of coffee, OOF circles look little awfull, why are they?
  10. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    An excellent set of photos from an excellent street photographer and an excellent lens - so an excellent combination, lol :D

The MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 is also my most used and all-time favourite lens - I find it 90% always mounted on the Nex ;)
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Great work. A fine example of why you want to shoot in color.
  12. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012