Shots from Menorca

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by Electric Shepherd, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
  2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some great shots. Don't know much about Menorca. Is there much to do there?

3. Luiz Curcino

Luiz Curcino TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    Uberlandia-MG Brasil
    Great pics! Very beautiful place!

4. lapdog99

lapdog99 TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Colorado
    right time of day, some nice photos

5. Ray Vardy

Ray Vardy TalkEmount Regular

Liking the rocks of pic 1 and the sky of pic 2 - never been to menorca myself. BTW I'd like to see some more shots with that sigma lens. :)

6. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Beautiful photos!! The first two shots of the rocks are my favourite too. Lovely colours and thoughtful composition, all of them :)

7. Electric Shepherd

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

Ray, whilst this isn't scenic, architecture or travel, here's a shot of my wife using the Sigma:

7357795398_ebf8903959_c.
    Pam by Pam & Ben, on Flickr

It's effectively a "normal" lens on the APS-C sensor, making it a great portrait lens.

8. Ray Vardy

It's good Ben, yes, hmmm, what should my 1st lens purchase be....

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    great photos mate, and the sunset is very good, very nice place,also the panoramic pics I like to.
    This lens works very good, nice portrait

10. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Impressive images indeed!! Once you get that filtered light at golden hour it's just priceless. The picture of your wife is excellently rendered as well as well. Very nice series, Thank you very much for sharing.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Nice shots. The apparent sharpness of the Sigma lenses continues to impress me, particularly at their price point.

12. Ray Vardy

All, I'm struggling here, based on my existing kit, inexperience and lack of pocket money.. Are you able to help me choose my 1st lens purchase! I really like the photos I've seen here over the last few days with both the 19 & 30 sigma lens...

Hmmm indeed ;)

13. Electric Shepherd

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Surprise, surprise, I'd say go with the 30mm. The 19mm isn't quite wide enough to appeal to me over the kit lens, at a focal length where I'd typically be using narrowish apertures anyway. The 30mm on the other hand gets close to an equivalent classic 50mm would on full frame, ie a great general purpose lens. It's not hurt by being very sharp, even wide open in the centre, and has an appealing bokeh. Do you tend to shoot any subject in particular Ray? That may help us to give you some advice.

14. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    I used the 19mm most of the time I was on vacation, and I like taking scenic shots, so that has been nice. But there were a few times when I switched to the 30mm, or wished I had had time to switch to it. Either one can make a good walk around lens, but it really depends on what will most often be your subject matter. If people, go with the 30mm, the 19mm is too in your face for that. For the price point, I picked up both and haven't regretted it.

15. Electric Shepherd

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Ben
    Ah, now you're talking!

16. Ray Vardy

At the moment I'm not brave enough to get up close to the 'locals' they are like tigers & bears!
    So for the moment it's mainly scenic as I am still fumbling my way through the controls of the camera and basics of shooting..

Ps. The photos I enjoy looking at most tend to include the tigers & bears.

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Before tackling the tigers and bears, you can practice on the pussycats and puppies (your family and friends)... :)

18. Ray Vardy

They are scarier than the tigers & bears...!

19. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand