Shot my first true wildlife video today

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by roundball, Apr 14, 2014.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    While out turkey hunting hoping to get a live action video…I filmed a Hen scratching / feeding along a tree-line instead. All the audio / video planning and set-up seemed to work fine in the field...and transferring / watching it on my PC showed the results to be excellent, both audio & video.

But struggling right now trying to figure out how to get it uploaded onto Photobucket. It gets about 90% uploaded then PB pops up a goofy error message about the upload failing…but gives NO intelligence as to why.

It’s not a size issue because I’ve severely trimmed a test copy very small…so I assume it might be the file format or something, dunno…foreign territory for me at the moment.

Yet, oddly, a few minutes later, the video actually appears on Photobucket...but when I try to watch it, there's a lot of pausing / buffering. However, after it’s finished one pass, and I watch it again, its fine…maybe by then the video is downloaded into the cache on my PC?

Another dunno…but hopefully I should get the Photobucket thing figured out and share it just for the heck of it.

2. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    Maybe try using a different hosting site like YouTube or Vimeo?

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yep, use YouTube. It's technically the best site for videos, with support for HTML5 and flash for playback, automatic conversion from pretty much any format to MP4 and FLV and resolution independence (not sure if there is a limit, but it works up to 4k for sure).

4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I just looked into YouTube a few minutes ago but dislike the overpowering / intrusive attitude of Google.
    Had not thought about Vimeo...I'll go take a look

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    What exactly don't you like about the way Google handles YouTube? Just curious, because I think Google did a tremendous job of making the layout efficient and the ads not too disturbing. I'm still not a big fan of the overall design, but functionality-wise, it's great imo.

6. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I uploaded the straight .m2ts file to Vimeo.
    It had no sound, and the IQ was less than when I view the .m2ts file on my PC.

Will see if I can figure out how to convert it to Windows Media Player or something then upload it again, see if that makes a difference.

7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Never got that far...when I realized I would be forced to use Google in order to use YouTube, I passed

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    It's just that you need a google account to use YouTube, as they use the same account now. You don't need to actually do anything at Google+ or something.

9. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Appreciate the clarification.....was in a hurry, saw references to Gmail, etc, etc and bailed out.....I'll check YouTube again.

10. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Couldn't ever get an upload to Vimeo to include audio...just tried YouTube and everything works fine.
    So such as it is...here is my first wildlife video.
    ( Sony NEX-7 DSLR, Canon FD 50-135/3.5 lens @ f8.0, ISO400 )
    Used Sony's PMB software (came with NEX-7) to convert / save the imported file to a .wmv format.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgKVtPzsWlU&feature=youtu.be

11. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that your first results are pretty good. It is quite amazing how good result you can have these days with inexpensive equipment. I think that I have to declick some of my lenses to try video.