Shooting model cars

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by izzikiorage, Aug 6, 2016.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    Shot some model cars with my brother last weekend... seems that it's quite the opposite of a normal shot. What I learnt

- You need to go to the smallest aperture (f/16) to ensure that the blur behaves like it would with a full size car shot from a distance
    - To get false perspective it's best to have a wider lens at closed aperture (couldn't get this right)
    - Low Iso means very slow shutter speeds
    - Need to shoot with the cam on the ground to get the perspective right (realistic perspective)
    - Cloudy days rock

Would love to know any tips for shooting models a little better

28766893426_5f53746652_c.
    Where to
    by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

28692507026_26da36f958_c. Start by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 10
  2. AlwaysOnAuto

AlwaysOnAuto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 17, 2015
    You did a good job here. I'll have to borrow some of my son's models and give this a try. Looks like a lot of fun.
    That Camaro has a LOT of orange peel in the paint. It needs a wet sanding and polish.

• Like Like x 1
  3. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    1. I think you did a great job based upon the two shots you shared.
    2. I never thought about miniature photography before.
    3. You mention wide angle, small aperture, close to ground - all of those tend to "shrink" your camera which makes perfect sense to me for this photography.
    4. Well done and thanks for sharing!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Thanks for the responses guys. Do share any experiments you do and let me know if this can be made better

5. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    What scale are the models you shot?

6. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    These are 1:18 scale models. Very very well made pieces as is evident from the details in the shots

7. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Trying to get my PPing done for the rest of the model shoots. Seems like there are a couple of shots that came out well

28828029735_3992a7f4f7_c.
    On the starting line
    by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

• Like Like x 4
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Almost look like the real thing. Well done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I would have been fooled to think these were the real thing if you didn't say it :D
    I love #1, only wished the back part of the car wasn't cropped a little ;)

10. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    These look great! I think you did a really good job getting the trees to "shrink" via UWA as much as they did. 1:18 is already pretty large model cars though, right? What scale are Matchbox cars?

Are they sitting on concrete? I am curious what kind of concrete has fine enough grain so it looks a little more like the course grain of tar at that scale.

11. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    I believe Matchbox cars are 1/64 scale, so you really need a macro lens to make them look good.
    Here's my poor attempt at it.

DSC05800.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  12. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    1:18 is pretty big compared to matchbox. But not all that large. Had to use an extension tube to get the detail shots. This is pretty much pavement type concrete, so that seems to look ok

• Like Like x 1
  13. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Here's my only model car shoot. I was bored and it was raining so I went into the backyard and shot these in the rain. I was excited until I realized how big rain drops are on a model car. :doh: outside of that I was satisfied. Never tried it again 20140522-DSC06547. 20140522-DSC06551. 20140522-DSC06552.

• Like Like x 8
  14. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Thats a very cool shoot. The oversized rain drops do ruin it a little but the setting and way you've shot it is very cool

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Nice stuff. I wonder if the wet effect would be better with light application from a spray bottle?

16. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. Your shots are nice too. For the record, I pretty much used the approach you did which is to use a wide angle with close focus. In fact it was a UWA rokinon 12mm.

@quezra@quezra - agree on the spray bottle. I would have to work harder to capture the mood and atmosphere.

17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Great additions folks

18. AlwaysOnAuto

Feb 17, 2015
    Love the Jeep shots Gary, even with the giant rain drops.
    I'm going to see my son this weekend, so will try to borrow a few of his cars to shoot. I just remembered I have a few cars that came with a car hauler train car from my model train. I'll have to dig them out of the closet and get busy shooting them.