1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shooting at the beach side.

Discussion in 'Nature' started by alaios, Aug 25, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hey there.
    I am going in three weeks from now on vacations to the beach. That would be my first time shooting at a place with so much light during the day and reflections coming from the sea.

-I would like to ask you if polarization filters might help take out reflections of the sea.
    -I also know that a good light is at the beginning and end of the day. What should do during noon time when there is so much light outside?
    -Any other tips and techniques to share?

I would like to thank you in advance for your replies

Regards
    Alex

2. lowbone

lowbone TalkEmount Regular

Oct 21, 2012
    A polarizer will help with reflections of the sea but the sun has to be coming from the side to get maximum polarization.Shooting at midday will have you dealing with harsh light and shadows. If you are shooting people at that time try using fill flash. If you are shooting scenics watch your exposure as cameras tend to expose for bright sand. Speaking of sand, make sure none of it blows toward your camera.

3. dsiglin

dsiglin TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Greenville, SC
    If you want to slow your shutterspeed in broad daylight pick up an adjustable ND filter. I got one off amazon for $7 and while the last two stops on it give a blue tint, it works brilliantly on all others. As an extreme example - I was able to get 3 second exposures at noon at f4 or so without blowing highlights.

4. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks. One more question. Can I combine the polarization filter with the uva filter? I read somewhere that the ND filters are best to be bought fixed at 3 stops.

Regards
    Thanks. One more question. Can I combine the polarization filter with the uva filter? I read somewhere that the ND filters are best to be bought fixed at 3 stops.

Regards