1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Shooting a classic concert - tips needed

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Poki, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Hi all,

I got hired to shoot a classic new years concert this weekend a few weeks ago. Now all the details are set and I already hired a second shooter and so on - so everything is good to go. Question now is: Is there something I should care specifically about when shooting a classic concert? Never did shoot one before.

As for the details - the concert will be on two days, friday and saturday. I got hired to make a video documentation on friday while shooting stills on saturday. As for cameras, I'll of course shoot with my NEX-7 and my NEX-5 for backup, the second shooter will come up with a Nikon D7000 afaik. I think about letting her shoot the close-ups with her 70-200 and cover the wide angle shots by myself - the 12mm Touit and 24mm Sonnar should be quite nice for that. The sound will be recorded separately by the organizer and I'll edit all files (video and stills) and cut the sound in afterwards. I'll shoot some B-rolls before the show starts to cover for unusable shots and these things.

As for my policies - copyright of all shots will of course stay at me, I plan to give them about 100 - 200 edited photos of the shows (seems about adequate for the two hours the concert takes) + the finished edited video file.

Did I forget anything? Or are there any difficulties I should expect to encounter?

2. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Do you have insurance?

3. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    In Austria, as long as I don't run my own business officially, the insurance is the job of the employer. The laws are not that clear when it comes to artists, unfortunately, but in any case I don't break any law if I don't care for insurance myself.

4. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    So someone trips over your tripod or bag or something, they can't sue you, yeah?

That's good.

5. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That's a different thing. Everybody is covered by basic insurance from the state anyway, so if somebody breaks a leg by falling over my tripod, he can just call an ambulance and the state will cover the bill, no matter who - if anybody - is to blame for the accident. Our healthcare system has some advantages too, I guess.

6. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Health care is one, suing for "pain and suffering" is another.

Anyway, good luck with the gig.

Feel nervous?

7. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nah, everyone would just laugh here if somebody who fell over my tripod will try to sue me -- he'd have no chance. The only way I could get sued is if I punch somebody with my whatever and cause severe pain or damage by that.

Thanks. I don't feel nervous yet, I'm quite confident in the image quality of my setup and as the restrictions for us are quite harsh I won't have too much creative hassle when shooting. Also, the investment in my Hague steadicam finally pays off - it's about time.

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Short update - shooting the concert went quite well, although I had next to no room to move around. I'm still editing the files - the deal was to give them at least 100 photos, and it's quite a bit of work to edit that amount. I'll have the final meeting for the photos with the client on friday. After that, I'll post the response of him as well as some of the photos here, but I think he'll be quite happy.

And hey, getting a bit return of investment always is nice. Maybe I can even afford the Touit 2.8/50 before summer this way. :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    ^^Looking forward to it ;)

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Neat to see people using NEX'S for paying gigs

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    So here are a few of the shots. I sent them 119 all in all, and they seemed quite happy with them. Keep in mind that the second shooter I hired shot with a tele lens, so I covered everything, not only the wide angles you see here. ;)

Do you think I did an okay job? I sure hope I did.

• Like Like x 5
  12. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    They look good to me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    At least better than anything they had before. (Hint: compact cameras with active flash)

And yeah, it kinda seems like they want me to shoot more of their concerts in the future, and if they keep paying at this rate, I'll have the money I spent on the NEX-7 back soon, which I think is pretty cool. :)

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that it would have been very difficult to take better pictures. Btw, lighting is extremely weird.

• Like Like x 1
  15. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I agree on both accounts :)

Strangely, the 2nd one (B&W) posted is my favourite despite the akward roof light right behind the woman's head