• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

She sells sea shells down by the sea shore (boats and beaches)

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
last race melges.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    566mm    f/6.3    1/640s    ISO 200

The local yacht club ran it's last wednesday night race of the season this evening. Here, three boats from a fleet of Melges 24's race upwind on an absolutely beautiful late september night. Great way to finish the season!

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
last race old school house.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    600mm    f/6.3    1/800s    ISO 200

last race old school.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    600mm    f/6.3    1/640s    ISO 200

last race red kite.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    600mm    f/6.3    1/800s    ISO 200

A few more from tonight's racing.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
last race knockout masthead.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    150mm    f/5.0    1/250s    ISO 1600

When the racing is over for the year, it's time to go up that mast and start taking the boat apart.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
last race knockout masthead work.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    572mm    f/6.3    1/60s    ISO 200

If you are going to take the boat apart it's always a good idea to start at the top!

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
When the racing is over for the year, it's time to go up that mast and start taking the boat apart.

I want her job! :D

I don't. I've been hauled up a mast a few times, fortunately in calm conditions. I have no head for heights at all: I could never sail on a square rigger. But I'd even more hate the responsibility of being the guy on the winch!

A friend used to ask to be hauled up there, on every new boat we sailed. It was her way of saying hello, I guess.

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
charlevoix sunrise.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    160mm    f/6.3    1/500s    ISO 200

Charlevoix's Round Lake and City Marina in the foreground with Lake Charlevoix in the background, just past the small channel. Spotted this sunrise on the way back to Traverse City this morning on my last run for work. Had to stop.

MWhite

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Mike
FWIW and I do not want to hijack the thread, Michigan - at least on the west coast of the lower peninsula - has THE most beautiful sunsets that I have ever seen, and I've seen a few growing up in Oklahoma where beautiful sunsets are frequent. I'll bet Will has seen a great many, indeed, from his boat - lucky guy!

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
I don't know if the lake is big enough to get the full horizon, but sunset and sunrise at sea can be just wonderful, Totally immersive.
Yes, the Great Lakes are also known as Inland Seas. Most people who have not been to the Great Lakes lack the concept of how big these "Lakes" actually are. Losing sight of land, any land, is easy to do and when the weather turns ugly you would bet the rent money you were on the ocean. However, like you say, sunrise and sunsets at sea can be totally immersive. If you were to visit the Great Lakes I'm sure you'd find the same peace.

I'll post an image I took the week before last while delivering the boat from Lake Michigan to Lake Huron. It was taken with my cell phone but it's of my dog "immersed" in the sunrise over Lake Huron...

perry sunrise.jpg
SM-G892A    ---    4mm    f/1.7    1/2712s    ISO 50

For some context, This area of Lake Huron experienced 20+ foot waves a few days after I passed through here.

Last edited:

Brownie

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I don't know if the lake is big enough to get the full horizon, but sunset and sunrise at sea can be just wonderful, Totally immersive.

Yes, the Great Lakes are also known as Inland Seas. Most people who have not been to the Great Lakes lack the concept of how big these "Lakes" actually are. Losing sight of land, any land, is easy to do and when the weather turns ugly you would bet the rent money you were on the ocean.
Yes, calling them 'lakes' doesn't give someone who's never seen them a good idea of the sheer size. They are their own ecosystem. I live about 20 miles from Lake Erie, so I'm on the sunrise side of Michigan.

Even Lake St, Claire (which is not one of the Great Lakes) is so large you can lose sight of land.

This shot was made from land, looking out into Lake Huron at the mouth of the St. Claire River.

50272519196_bfa579e516_b.jpg
   ---            
P1049504 by telecast, on Flickr

Will Focus

TalkEmount Regular
outboard boat fall.JPG
ILCE-7RM2    150-600mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS | Sports 021    600mm    f/6.3    1/250s    ISO 200

Young man pilots a 14 foot tin tub across Boardman Lake in a light, fall morning fog today.

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I suppose I should know better! But it is difficult to extrapolate schoolboy geography to the reality, especially for one who has never set foot on the American continent.

I've never done any ocean sailing. Only England East and South coasts, North Sea, and English Channel. Just poked my nose out into the Atlantic (Scilly Isles) . Cornwall to the Channel Islands is an over-nighter.

Mind you, assuming flat, the horizon is only (iirc) about three miles away.

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
Now, my problem is, if the Lakes are that huge, visualising the size of North America! :laugh:
About half the size of Asia, And even less if you count Eurasia. There are a lot of lakes on that list that I'd really like to see. Bailkal, Titicaca (if only so that I could say Titicaca a lot).

Latest threads

Top Bottom