1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sharpening software?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by roundball, Jan 10, 2015.

1. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I'm not into "post-processing" to "create" images, but sometime end up losing what is otherwise a good shot because its a little soft.
    Is there any just basic inexpensive "sharpening software" available without having to buy these big packages like photoshop, Lightroom, etc ??

2. nippa

nippa TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 1, 2014
    My all time favourite is Focus Magic but it now costs three times as much as it did so kind of out priced.

I've tried just about everything else and they all seem much the same so why not stick with the free software that came with the camera

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia TalkEmount Regular

Dec 13, 2013
    NIK dfine for me. What software do you use right now? Also, the reason for the softness will determine whether software can fix it. If it's a little blurry there isn't a whole lot you can do...

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

• Like Like x 1
  4. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    To my knowledge the only software that came with the NEX-7 was what sony called PMB...picture motion browser or something like that...didn't happen to notice any sharpening feature but may have overlooked it.
    Moot point now as PMB was discontinued last year, replaced by Play Memories which I haven't gone to because I haven't seen any ground swell of user interest in it, so I assumed it wasn't much of a package.

5. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Understand about blurriness...talking about sharpening an otherwise decent image.
    Don't have anything right now...am looking for a simple relatively inexpensive sharpening software.
    I assume where you typed NIK dfine you meant NIK does fine?
    I'll Google NIK and see what comes up

6. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    Raw Therapee is a program that will work with a variety of formats including JPEG. It has substantial and robust sharpening tools (and a pretty full complement of the others, so it's a "big package") -- but it's free:

http://rawtherapee.com/

Good luck,

Bill

• Like Like x 2
  7. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Thanks for that...and if you don't mind, have you / do you use it yourself?

8. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I found NIK SHARPENER PRO 3...is that it?

9. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Yes NIK Sharpeing Pro.

NIK Dfine is for de-noising not sharpening.

You can also try Google picasa. It's very simple compared to Raw Therapee but is also free and may be good enough for your uses.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Yes. But after Google bought Nik, you must purchase the entire suite now. So while sharpener pro may be perfect for him, it is part of a much larger package.

• Like Like x 1
  11. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Just looked into it...and maybe I misunderstood, but I gathered that I send photos up to picasa, do any editing at picsas, the edited image stays at Pisaca, and is not allowed to be stored back down on my PC. If that's the case, its a deal breaker for me...

12. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I don't believe it works that way. Here is a link on how to download https://support.google.com/picasa/answer/39513?hl=en

• Like Like x 1
  13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    No, you don't have to do that.

It's an application that can be used with no internet connection if you want. It's looks at the photos on your hard drive and and acts as a viewer. You can select a photo to make some edits then save that photo back to hard drive. It's non destructive, so it doesn't actually change your original photo, you have to save a new copy of the photo with your edits.

The uploading stuff is a feature in addition to the editing part. Most basic software applications for photos are tied into social media because that's what most people want to do with their photos but in Picasa you don't have to use it and it's automatic, so you would have to choose to upload stuff.

Take a look here.

For sharpening, it would be one click and then a slider for how much sharpening and then save the new image next to the old one. Fast and simple.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    A few years ago I used it regularly. It worked very well except that I also used Noise Ninja.

I moved to Lightroom and haven't used Raw Therapee since the switch.

If you just want some sharpening, I believe that it will do what you want without breaking a sweat.

• Like Like x 1
  15. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    WestOKid and ChangshaNotes...thanks for the effort / replies to clarify.

Screen shot of the Picasa site below is what raised my question that everything is being held at their site.
    ( very first line of text in bold )
    Based on your replies I'll dig into it deeper...

16. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Maybe Google has changed how Picasa works...I downloaded / installed Picasa...and was immediately reminded of how smothering and intrusive Google has become.
    The very first thing Picasa wanted to do was sweep my PC and move every photo it found up the website, with no option for me to say 'no'...could not even close that application screen and get out of it at that point.
    Had to Cntl/Alt/Delete to bring up Task Manager and shut down / delete the Picasa application process from running.

17. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    I've been using Photobucket as a host for photos I use online. Just discovered there is all sorts of capability, including sharpening, in the Editing section of my Photobucket account. I'll dig further into that and see how user friendly it might be.

18. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Wow…a before and after of a photo I just sharpened with the editor / slider on Photobucket…I had originally thought it was pretty decent.

BEFORE

AFTER

19. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    Picasa and Picasa Web are two mostly separate apps. Picasa is an application that runs on your PC or Mac. Picasa Web is basically web albums. In Picasa, you can easily sync local picture folder or albums to Picasa Web, but you don't have to sync. If you don't explicitly sync, Picasa is just a local jpeg processing program.

• Like Like x 1
  20. roundball

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    Interesting...I simply Googled Picasa and that's the site that came up...only saw one download option, no mention of two types, or if I wanted web based or stand-alone.
    The Photobucket based editor I discovered is web based...although after sharpening I can then down load it to my PC...however there are a few steps involved in doing that....I'll Google Picasa one more time and see if I can find a stand-alone version for the PC as that's what I'm really trying to get to.
    Thanks