Sharing my pictures

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by alaios, Jan 25, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    What are the options?

Dear all,
    I would like to start making my pictures available to the public, as means of sharing those.
    I would like to ask you what are the alternatives. Right now I only know facebook,
    but the pictures can not be easily shared, and facebook compress, downsamples images.

I am looking something for making albums and adding more comments about different type of pictures I have been capturing + allow the guest to download images at full size.

What is in the arsenal we have?

Regards
    Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I've had good luck with Flickr and Photobucket ;)

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I use and recommend Flickr as well.

4. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Yes I agree - Flickr is the best option. Either a free account or the paid version ($25 a year) if you want to have lots of albums and upload lots of pictures, plus have visitor stats etc. Free one works fine for me, although I have a 'pro' (the one you pay for) account until March as they upgraded everyone for 3 months for free.

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I use SmugMug

6. Nubster

Nubster TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 5, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    Chad
    I use photobucket but I've been toying around with doing a paid Flickr or Smugmug account. That way you set it up like your own webpage, which in essence, it is. They also give you options to sell your photos, set prices, and to whom you want to sell to. Even sections that are password protected so only clients or certain people have access to them. Of course you could also just create your own website too.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Flickr looks quite good for me.
    What are the limitations of the free accoung,
    -for the number of pictures uploaded
    -and the file size/quality of each image?

Regards
    Alex

8. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
  9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I also have noticed that facebook does an ugly amount of compression to the image. I have seen most of my images be at worse quality (even colors have slightly changed)

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin TalkEmount Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    The free flickr accounts allow you to have (or they did when I last researched it) 200 images visible at a time with the older ones getting bumped off the list as you add new ones, but...if you choose to upgrade to a pro account the older images will become visible in your photostream. They don't actually get deleted.

Regarding your last point about facebook, uploading to flickr isn't completely lossless either so I wouldn't treat it as archival. One trick seems to be to upload images at one of flickr's standard range of resolutions to avoid odd resizing artefacts. I use 1600 pixels on the long side which gives me a large enough image for most purposes but not too big that it is killing my monthly internet data allowance.

11. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks,
    200 images seem low... :( ! Too bad!

Do you know competitors limits?

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I found that on the internet

Choosing Flickr, Picasa Web Album or Photobucket Free Account

Jan 06

wingloonWebsites 9 Comments

I asked myself which one of the free image hosting should I sign up such as Flickr, Picasa Web Albums and Photobucket. I am sure you have this question. What I wanted is a free account for my images to link in my blog here and I also wanted to have a free account host my photos taken using my DSLR. So, I am here to share with you the features and limitations offered by Flickr, PicasaWeb and Photobucket.

Flickr’s free account offers a 100MB monthly upload limit (10MB per photo) and only 3 sets (aka album) can be created with no monthly bandwidth limit. Flickr allows only the 200 most recent images to be viewed once you have reached more than 200 images uploaded. You can post any of your images in up to 10 images in a group. Original size images are saved for later upgrade and only smaller images will accessible after being resized.

As for Picasa Web Albums, a free photo sharing service offered by Google providing 1GB of free storage and the images uploaded to Picasa Web Albums can be no larger than 20MB and are restricted to 50 megapixels or less with no monthly bandwidth limit. The maximum number of web albums allow is 250 and the maximum number of photos per web album allow is 500.

Lastly, Photobucket’s free account offers 1GB of free storage with a 25GB of monthly bandwidth limit and custom URLS for up to 10 albums. The images uploaded to Photobucket can be 1MB each or by 1024×768 resolution. However, you can have up to 50 images per slideshow (some slideshows vary) and you are allow to upload a 5 minutes of video playing time (100MB in filesize).

The conclusion is really up to you to choose on which free image hosting provider. As for me, I am using both Flickr and Photobucket now. I have not try Picasa Web Albums from Google yet. In fact, these three providers Flickr, Picasa Web Albums and Photobucket does offers pay version of image hosting with different features and it really depends on how you want to use them when it comes to sharing and social networking.

13. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    They are all very reasonable for free services.

I think it's worth paying for a basic account with one of the photo sites, then you don't have to worry about how much you are uploading or choosing what not to upload. I use SmugMug, but they are all fine. Flickr is a good choice and Yahoo! seems to be paying more attention to it lately.