• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Share your product photography!

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
As it's the holiday season, I'm sure everyone got a few new gadgets, and I'd like to see them! I, personally, love well designed products and I'm incredibly interested in their designs - and of course product photography itself.

To start the thread, here are three of my product shots. They're not new, but I'll add some new ones later on when I got inspired by yours. ;)

First, just a clean, simple shot on a white background:

Second, the awesome B&W P5 connected to an iPod Classic - simply the best combination for on-the-go music:

And last, just a fun little composite wallpaper not to miss my Wii U when I'm not home:

Showing off some Minolta stuff of course. I have used these as desktop backgrounds.

All Minolta 28mm 1:3.5 lenses with SR-mount in my collection.
DMC-GH2    ---       f/1.0    1/60s    ISO 160

Minolta XD7 with Minolta MD W.Rokkor 28mm 1:2
DMC-GH2    ---          1/60s    ISO 160

davect01

Super Moderator
Real Name
Dave
Some neat shots here.

Here's one I never posted.

---            

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tried to use my Sigel black glass magnet board (god, those guys build the coolest magnet boards on the planet!) as a ground and a piece of styrofoam as a background today. As a light, I used the built-in flash of my NEX-7, bounced upwards, with two reflectors. One was a business card taped to the flash to reflect the light forward, one was a piece of A4 sized paper to get light from the top.

In post, I didn't do much - just cloning out a few dust spots and adding some clarity. So this is basically the simplest setup you can use for product photography - you don't need any equipment besides your camera. I think they turned out quite good for the little equipment used.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/mdDqjF" title="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">
   ---            
"800" height="534" alt="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12"></a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/mdF3Pm" title="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">
   ---            
"800" height="534" alt="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12"></a>

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/mdF5AN" title="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 by Hannes Brecher, on Flickr">View attachment 42054"800" height="533" alt="Zeiss Touit 2.8/12"></a>

michelb

TalkEmount Veteran
Real Name
Michel Brien
A couple from last year
1) First camera i used ( my father purchased it in 1955/56 ) The 2 strange accessories are on the left a rangefinder ( precursor to autofocus) and on the right Exposure meter ( no TTL then )
   ---            

2) Last camera i bought Alpha7R shown here with very rare Minolta 85mm F1.4 G (D) Limited lens adapted through Sony LA-EA4
   ---            

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I'm still trying to figure out where to go with product photography. I think it's an area with endless possibilities which have not yet been explored. This time, I tried to tell little stories with the product shots.

Not sure where my little product photography experiments will end, but they're fun anyway.

José De Bardi

Assistant in Virtue
Real Name
José
I'm still trying to figure out where to go with product photography. I think it's an area with endless possibilities which have not yet been explored. This time, I tried to tell little stories with the product shots.

Not sure where my little product photography experiments will end, but they're fun anyway.

This one makes me think of Pac-Mac - which is probably apt!

Jefenator

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Jeff

You can always open some sort of online store and put them to work! :D

Selling my glass art on ETSY is what prompted me to explore this genre. And the occasional eBay auction... for all the good my better-than-average listing shots seem to do me. :confused:

Poki

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
True. Recently, I was able to snap a 3DS XL at ebay that could easily have been sold for €50 - €80 more if the photo was better. The device itself is like new, but on the ebay photo it looked horrible, so money saved for me. :)

Brandon Jackson

TalkEmount Rookie
"Hero" image for my review of a pair of Dirt 3 motorcycle gloves from REV'IT! for webbikeworld.com. While I have plenty of clean and clear images of the gloves for the review, I like to kick off reviews with an image that tells you something about the product. With a name like "Dirt 3" it wasn't much of a leap to come up with a theme. BTS photo showing my setup on the dining room table. (No need to run to the studio for something small like this)

Sony A7rII
Sony 85mm 1.8
10mm extension tube
Godox AD600 (Xplor 600) with snoot and grid
Lastolite TriGrip reflector
Setting is potting mix on a black foam board
Processed in Adobe Camera Raw

ILCE-7RM2    FE 85mm F1.8    85mm    f/8.0    1/160s    ISO 100

---            

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
"Hero" image for my review of a pair of Dirt 3 motorcycle gloves from REV'IT! for webbikeworld.com. While I have plenty of clean and clear images of the gloves for the review, I like to kick off reviews with an image that tells you something about the product. With a name like "Dirt 3" it wasn't much of a leap to come up with a theme. BTS photo showing my setup on the dining room table. (No need to run to the studio for something small like this)

Sony A7rII
Sony 85mm 1.8
10mm extension tube
Godox AD600 (Xplor 600) with snoot and grid
Lastolite TriGrip reflector
Setting is potting mix on a black foam board
Processed in Adobe Camera Raw

View attachment 111616

View attachment 111617
Don't think my wife would allow all that 'dirt' in the dining room unless it was in one of her pots.
Always interested in seeing how the pro's set up their shots.:2thumbs:

Brandon Jackson

TalkEmount Rookie
Don't think my wife would allow all that 'dirt' in the dining room unless it was in one of her pots.
Always interested in seeing how the pro's set up their shots.:2thumbs:
I am fortunate in the support I get from my girlfriend (we might as well be married though after 12 years) as she is usually helping with this. She was the one who actually grabbed the dirt for me :). Luckily I was able to just fold the foam board up and pour the dirt back in the bag. The board went bye bye after but it was worth it. :)

Top Bottom