• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Share: sunsets

unlo

Sony ******
Real Name
Matt
LastJuly16Sunset.jpg
   ---            

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Yikes that one from my phone was super degraded and splotchy in the sky

LastJuly16Sunset-2.jpg
   ---            

hmm never looks as good on the website after upload as it does in lightroom or in photo gallery after export.

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
I wonder if I should have done a timed exposure here and let the water smooth out. Have to try that next time.
My thoughts: There are two different categories of good photographs. One shows us things we cannot, as humans, ever see. Time lapse, macro, long exposure and heavy post processing are among genres that fit into this category. These give us striking examples of things we probably never before thought about. They have some bit of surprise usually. The second category shows us things very much like things we have seen before. These resonate with our memory and stir emotions in concert with our experience. I am not claiming that one category is better than the other or that I prefer one over the other.

So a long exposure of this image would change it from category 2 to category 1. Each would be beautiful for different reasons. I really, really like this image you captured and shared. Sunset, breeze, ocean, beach attractively composed and presented - ah, I could linger in these memories....

WestOkid

TalkEmount All-Pro
Real Name
Gary

I agree with Bert. It's not an easy either/or. Just be happy you got a fantastic image. I haven't seen a sunset like this in awhile.

Going back to the LE question. You've probably seen from my posts that I do quite a bit of LE work so I am not a snob about one or the other. That said, a LE would have changed this for sure, but not necessarily better or worse. We only know it would be different. I try to take many exposures from short to LE if time permits. Sometimes they all look great :thumbsup:. Sometimes not so much :(. However, taking multiple exposures is not always possible with the changing light and cloud patterns during sunrise and sunset. In that case, you pick one. In this case you picked a good one! :bravo-009:

WT21

TalkEmount Top Veteran
hmm never looks as good on the website after upload as it does in lightroom or in photo gallery after export.

Ain't that the truth!

Still, looks pretty nice!

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will

Noor

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Noor Arnaout
1655674_10153325629636048_1864395876991748515_o.jpg
   ---            

Taken with Canon nFD 50mm F/1.4 @F/8 a6000

Last edited:

chalkdust

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Real Name
Bert Cheney
A7ii + 40mm Classic Heliar
18VC229.JPG
   ---            

southy

TalkEmount Veteran

roundball

TalkEmount Legend
Thunderstorms at Sunset, local lake
Canon FDn 80-200/4.0-L, NEX-7

042816 A_Sun's Rays Down Thru T-Storm 28_FS-HL100++Con20+Shp25.JPG
   ---            

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
DSC06066-1.jpg
   ---            

Not as dramatic as most posted here but it is hand held 50mm on my a7ii, crop from SOOC jpg.

Latest threads

Top Bottom