Shall i return my A7R for A7S or even A7 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Janiteo, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Janiteo

Janiteo New to TalkEmount

Jan 26, 2016
    Hello All,

My wife on a trip bought the Sony A7R without asking me advice... ;(

She mainly do landscape / street / beach photography and will shoot in JPEG. I could use the camera for some action photo.

I did some research on the 7R and it seems to me that sony build it mostly for studio photography.

I can see lot of issue on the 7R vs the 1000 usd cheaper V7.

7R : poor autofocus (contrast based) vs , no bypass filter, slow starting time, loud shutter, low JPEG quality, slow starting time.

It seems to me that the A7 or the A7S is a much better camera for someone who wants to use it in normal condition.

She will use the Sony 24/70 F4 lense on it.

What do you think of this shall i try to exchange it cause in my opinion the 7R will not be polyvalent at all and will require probably an upgrade soon.

On top of it i'd like to shoot a bit of action sports photo and my understanding is that with 7R this will not be possible.

My comments come from around 15 review that i read online with few standing out :

Like : Sony A7 and A7r Review | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

Sony Alpha 7R Review

Sony A7 Review: Is the Autofocus Too Slow?

The most worrisome about it is :

The problem is the autofocus. We purchased the A7 with the 28-70 kit lens and it seemed like that lense was particularly slow at focusing. It was especially bad in low light conditions. And by low light conditions I’m not talking about shooting in moonlight, I’m talking about shooting inside your house with the lights on at night. The camera would constantly hunt for focus and half the time it will either lock focus at the wrong distance, be slightly off focus, or just be unable to focus at all. It was frustrating but I figured the kit lens only ended up costing $300, and we what we really wanted to do was pair the camera with the new Zeiss lenses that were released at the same time.

In my opinion a slow camera slower to autofocus than an iphone is a deal breaker, i like fast camera.

By reading the review it seems than the Sony Alpha 7S Review for a little bit more is so much faster and friendly in most condition due better autofocus.

Also that comment on : Sony A7R Review – Working Out a Love-Hate Relationship

Love-hate relationship: I cannot agree more. After a week with the 7R I came to the conclusion that it is good for landscapes using a manual focus lens, but not much more. It simply misses focus 50% of the time.
    Forget all the fancy settings and stuff. The 7r is just a convenient data back, not a camera.

Thanks a lot for your advice and opinion about what shall i do.

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 3, 2012
    somewhere betwixt here and now
    On top of that a lot of users, some very experienced folks among them have reported issues with shutter shock at certain shutter speeds (use google). I don't care about AF too much but that and the compressed RAWs kept me from getting that 36MP data back.
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    IMO, Sony with the introduction of the first line of A7 series cameras decided to target these cameras to different types of photography. Again, in my opinion, the A7 is the general purpose camera to get (vs the A7R and A7S) for the points you already mentioned ;)

Welcome btw ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Janiteo

Jan 26, 2016
    Hello guys, thx for your opinion. So which one you think i shall get ? ;) Start to be confusing.
  5. adwb

adwb TalkEmount Regular

Sep 30, 2015
    Bristol UK
    for you a basic A7 would suit
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Janiteo

Jan 26, 2016
    Thx for your advice, the thing is i bought it in Japan. do you think i could try to trade it in a photo shop (i live in china). thx
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Hi Janiteo,
    Welcome to the forum! i bet it is nice to have a spouse that is interested in photography as well.

i think you are on the right track...I recently went through the A7 selection process, and bought the A7ii.
    While the resolution of the A7R is appealing, it takes patience to capitalize on it (manual focus, shooting from a tripod, avoiding shutter speeds that could induce shutter shock, processing from RAW)...for me it wasn't the all-rounder that I was looking for.

You might want to consider an A7ii: improved AF, reduced start-up time, refined JPEG engine, and IBIS might make it a better choice for you and your wife (for about the same money as the A7R). You mention that you want a fast camera several times -- have you considered the a6000?
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    i don't have any problem shooting action with my a7r, using autofocus...
    it's a 36mp camera, so it has significantly better jpeg quality than any of the a7/a7ii/a7s variants.
    i personally would never buy the fe24-70, it's kit lens picture quality that's priced as premium glass.
    i'd get the laea4, and an a-mount zoom, that way you'll have the best jpegs, the best landscape photos, and autofocus for everything.
  9. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    so you have both the a7r and the a7?? confusing.

anyway, the a7 is not the best solution for af use either, due to the pdaf sensors apparently being grouped in the center of the sensor... the a7r does not have pdaf sensors at all, but the laea4 adapter gives you pdaf capability on any a7 series camera... that matters because in general pdaf gives you fast af, while cdaf gives you accurate af... the a7 is a hybrid af system that uses both pdaf and cdaf, however, both the a7ii and especially the a7rii have better af than any of the older a7 series cameras.

one thing to keep in mind about pdaf is that, afaik, no a7 series camera can use pdaf at f/9 or smaller apertures.

"re: sony a7 25 auto focus points & 117 phase detection points not visible...
    I found some explanation in the camera brochure, which you can find linked here: • Sony PDF
    Basically, the phase detect points are all in the center area of the frame (which can be seen by turning on the Phase Detect Area in the menu). The regular contrast AF points are throughout the entire frame, out to the edges. Selecting any of the focus modes will rely on either type of sensor, but obviously, if you move your focus spot to the edge of the frame, you'll be relying on one of the 25 points. Long story short, if you set flexible spot to small, you can be guaranteed your focus area is set to use one of the sensors."
    Re: Sony A7 25 Auto Focus Points & 117 Phase Detec... - Sony's Community Site
    • Informative Informative x 1