Shade saved my lens, (I dropped my camera)

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by davect01, Mar 24, 2014.

1. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I was lucky last night. We went to the park and did a hike, (pictures coming). After we were done I packed up everything and put my NEX in the front pocket of the cooler we had.

Well, in my unloading the cooler tipped over and out fell my camera!!!! Luckily I had bought a screw on shade for the 30mm Sigma I had attached at the time and it took the brunt of the fall, bent it up good, yet NO damage to either camera or lens:)
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Well, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. ;) I dropped my old SELP1650 while swapping lenses. It came away with just a few dings, and a little hitch in its action when manually focusing. It was only when I tried to take it apart to "fix" it that I finally managed to make it die a premature death.
  3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Ad Dieleman
    That's what lens hoods are for :). Yesterday I grabbed a Minolta lens with the adapter attached, at least that's what I thought. Not so much, the adapter fell off on the concrete path and I had to file the E-mount side to because it had a burr preventing it from mounting flush on the camera. I consider these things as war wounds, proudly shown off by the gear to indicate it's really used. I was less happy the other day when my PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 dropped off my camera (Nikon F3 with a common flaw, a non-positively locking bayonet pin) and fell on the ground, on top of the shift screw. Repair fortunately wasn't very costly.
  4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Glad damage didn't occur Dave :)
    Never happened to me but I always fear to the thought of dropping my camera....I once forgot about it on a cafe though :shame: :D
  5. JudyM

JudyM TalkEmount Regular

Jan 13, 2014
    I've never dropped a camera or lens...until my 5D Mark II. My husband and I had just returned home from a long day of painting his late mother's house to get it ready to sell. As I started to get out of the car carrying an armload of things (including the camera), something started to slip out of my arms and I instinctively tried to grab it. The camera fell and hit lens hood first from a height of about 2 feet. The body was fine, but the zoom ring on the 24-105 jammed and had to be repaired.
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Glad I'm not the only one to do this, and I'm glad it was only the hood.
  7. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA better run out and buy a lottery ticket with that streak of luck !!
    Glad it worked out...