1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Several questions on the NEX 5N

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Trio, Mar 13, 2013.

1. Trio

Trio New to TalkEmount

Feb 17, 2013
    I presently shoot Canon DSLRs with mostly Canon lenses, but I have a small selection of alternative (legacy) lenses as well. I’ve been thinking about buying a used NEX camera for use with my legacy glass, when I want to travel light. At first, I wasn’t sure about which NEX would be right for me. I would be using legacy lenses on it exclusively, and I have no need for a fast frame per second rate or for wifi. Then I read the excellent thread by Dixeyk entitled “Ode To My 5N”. Now I’m sure the 5N is what I need. His endorsement of the 5N with legacy glass was convincing. I have several questions about the 5N. Since I would be shooting only in raw, which raw converter is used? Or are there several that can be recommended? Is Adobe Raw available for NEX cameras? Another question is… Has anyone used the 5N with long lenses, 400mm or longer? I’m curious how that peaking focusing option works with long manual lenses on a 5N? Thanks in advance for your response.

2. kaptnkain

kaptnkain TalkEmount Regular

Feb 4, 2013
    Ilya
    Focus peaking will work the same no matter what lens you use.

Adobe RAW converter works with the 2.3 ARW format.

I would honestly recommend the NEX-6 for the EVF. Shooting with the screen is nice and all but a VF helps a lot. Depends on your preference.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Welcome to the forum, and maybe to the 5N. :)

As I'm sure you already know, RAW converters are a pretty personal choice. They all do the job and as far as I know, they all support the NEX files. This includes ACR, which works very well in both Lightroom and Photoshop.

I'm not sure anyone here is using lenses that long, but if there is I'm sure they chip in to the conversation. At the least, the ability to chnage both the color and the strength of the peaking feature goes a long way toward making them useable with every lens that I've tried.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Actually I think focus peaking IS lens specific - some lenses peak well and some others don't...

400mm lens??? :eek: What are you planning to shoot with it? Its a very big lens that I'd imagine would not only look weird on a small Nex body but would also be very difficult to hold/control/use...

5. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I have shot a couple of shots with Tokina 200 mm/3.5 with doubler. Peaking works but not as well as with some other lenses. It has nothing to do with focal length. Focus peaking works with contrast so lenses with better contrast work better.

6. Trio

Trio New to TalkEmount

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the responses. Good to know NEX cameras work with Adobe Raw. To answer Nick's question... what do I shoot with 400mm? I would be shooting nature, sports, people, the zoo among other things. I'd be interested in anyone's else experiences with a very long lens and an NEX camera. I particularly wonder how focusing would be with my 400mm and an extender, either the 1.4 or 2X. I'm thinking and hoping that focus peaking might be a great help in focusing with such a combination.

7. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    challenging

The biggest issue you will run into with a long range lens is that the NEX has no internal stabilization, it is built into the lenses. Not an issue with 50mm, but once you start getting above 150ish you will need an increasingly steady hand/fast shutter speed.

My longest is 300mm and I have gotten some good shots, but it is not the easiest to do handheld, a good tripod will be a great aid. Other members have had some great results in this range.

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Not to make you feel like I'm shuffling you off to another forum or anything, but you need to go to Digital Photography Review and look up NEX user nzmacro. He shoots up to an 800mm for birds I think. I'm sure he could answer you questions better than anyone here.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya there are a few there that have had great success.

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya there are a few there that have had great success.

11. Trio

Trio New to TalkEmount

Feb 17, 2013
    Thanks for the additional responses. Bimjo, thanks for the lead on nzmacro. I will look him up. Dave... I'm used to the issue of non stabilization. My 5D with the 400mm 5.6 (and no IS) is rough to handle. I sometimes use a monopod, or better yet, a brace that I put together a few years ago. That helps quite a bit.