1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Several headshots comparing different lenses..what do you think?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by shaolin95, Jul 20, 2015.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    UPDATE:

These are the lenses used:
    A= Canon FD 400mm F4.5
    B= Canon FD 70-210 at ~150mm with 2X adapter to approximate a 300mm
    C= Canon FD 200mm F2.8
    D= Canon FL 135mm F2.5
    E= Canon FD 100mm F2.0
    F= Canon FD 50mm 1.4

So I have been reading about best portrait lenses and distance to shoot from etc..then I decided to test my lenses trying to keep the same framing.
    It is not very scientific and focus was not always the best since I did not want to test my wife's patience during the testing...so pardon the mistakes but I hope it is decent enough to show the differences and maybe you can tell me which one you prefer for each round.
    Of course, as I was analyzing them, I realized how each lens could be of user for different people depending on their face shape, nose etc in helping to "beautify" some facial proportions if needed.

ROUND 1

ROUND 2

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Probably A and B for me. Definitely not F, you can see distortion in this one so I'm guessing you used a wider lens...maybe a 35mm.

3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    A for both rounds. Bokeh seems better. Agree with @HabsFan@HabsFan regarding F. Was also guessing a 35mm based on distortion. D seems the sharpest, but you don't need the sharpest lens for portraits.

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks for checking guys. I can go ahead and post the lenses now instead of trying to make it too dramatic or I can wait, either way you think is best. :D

5. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I would like to see the lenses. :thumbup:

6. christilou

christilou TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 26, 2012
    Surrey, UK
    Christina
    I think C is the nicest :)

7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    A for clarity, C for a flattering softer portrait. Bokeh is good for both. Distortion in the latter samples are definitely out.

8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    F seems to be a wide, A and C teles. Guessing B + D short teles, E a normal. I like C best here also.

9. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I have updated the OP with the lenses :)
    The idea behind this was mainly to see if 300mm was the best portrait lens for me based on some things I read about how the human brain reconstructs faces etc from 15' away. Since I have a 400mm I was eager to see how a 300mm will look in comparison as I have my eyes on a 300mm F4 L . Lacking a 300mm I tried to improvise one. And since I was doing this...I decided to throw a few more lenses into the mix.
    Thanks for your comments!

• Like Like x 2
  10. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    C is the clear winner!

I also think many of them would look better stopped down a bit further.

11. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    What do you like about C?
    BTW, the comparison in reality is to how the lenses affect facial proportions and introduce distortions etc. It was never my intention to test/judge DOF, sharpeness etc on this particular test so its strictly on the distortions evaluation. :)
    To me C is borderline there..like I can see how it begins to make the face look not quite right compared to 300 and 400mm yet without direct comparisons to the others I think 200mm will be acceptable too or even 135mm for that matter.
    I think having all of them makes distortions more noticeable than on their own but maybe is just me.

12. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I think the thing about C is the way it's rendering the tonality differently.

The highlights glow a little and the shadows roll off nice and smooth. It just looks nicer?

Could also be a fluke, and maybe it's just better light and facial expression on both C photos

13. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I was not really pausing (my wife is not a patient model lol) to check on other things other than trying to frame the same size across all lenses so could be several factors indeed but as I mentioned I only cared for facial proportions so that is why I did not take a longer time. In fact I got a manequin head (make up head thingy) to try more things but I dont think its realistic enough.
    In any case, do you feel distortions are introduced by 200mm or do you find it acceptable perhaps up to 200 or even 135 or shorter?
    Thanks for your input! :)