Setup the focus?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by weirdo, Jan 6, 2015.

1. weirdo

weirdo TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 7, 2014
    I like my a7 alot and been happy with it for a while. I usually use manual focus most of the time, it works great on this camera. Now, how do you guys setup your camera for this? On my nikon, I had the "tack sharp" config on the camera, meaning I used continues focusing all the time and used back button to focus. When I hold it down, the camera would focus in continues mode. When released, the focus stayed on target. Worked like a charm. Can this be done on the A7? Also, how do you guys focus and recompose with manual focus?
  2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    There are so many ways to set up your preferred focus method on the A7, and it's been so long since I set my A7 up for the best way for me, that it's now a little difficult for me to tell you how to get what you're after.

But for auto-focus lenses I use the AF/MF button to switch between auto- and manual-focus. And turning the focus ring on the lens automatically zoom in. For manual focus lenses I usually use focus peaking, and have the C1 button set to zoom in (and then focus and recompose). The only time I use continuous focus is when I've got the camera set to high-speed burst and focus tracking, and I have one of the memory settings set up for that.

Really, your best bet would be just to spend a little time exploring the options in the menus and then configure the buttons to your preferred method. I'm sure there's a way to match what you had on your Nikon. I just can't tell you how without doing the same thing. :)
  3. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    David K Fonseca
    • Like Like x 1