1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Seriously how do you use your manual tele lens

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by alaios, Aug 10, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi all,
    i am an owner of a Auto Revuenon MC 1:2.8 f=135mm lens, which I like for the ability to throw easily the background out of focus and isolate my subjects...
    I have though very tough problems focusing correctly, especially when the subject is far at the screen. Auto peaking have led me many times to have a bad focus.. and the manual focus magnification just makes me vomit out..
    How do you focus (and get sharp images) with your adapted tele lens and whatt is the different for the SEL lenses with auto focus. Is it just way easier?

Regards
    Alex

2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    What do you mean "how do you zoom..."? That 135mm lens is a fixed focal length lens no???

From my (very short) experience and without being able to give some techinal explanation, some lenses peak very well and some other not, leading in out-of-focus photos. I mostly experienced this with zoom lenses though (such as the MD 35-105) but also I've noticed that I've improved a lot in this with practise (less out of focus photos)

3. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Fixed it .... I meant how you can focus well and how you can get sharp images when everything turns to be so shaky

4. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    As with all lenses there is basically three ways to focus.....either pick a point in the composition and turn the focus ring until optimum sharpness...or, 'zone focus' using your depth of field scale. a variation of 'zone focus' is to set the lens to hyperfocal distance. Lastly, you can measure and focus using a tape measure or string with knots, however it is as well to check first that your focus markings are accurate. This last string wit knots method usd to be popular with portrait photographers......

Personally, I dislike the peaking unless making video.

obviously, it helps to open up the aperture as large (smallest number) as possible becasue reduced depth of field makes point of sharp focus more visible. I never use lenses a smaller apertures than f8 since this is the point at which diffraction becomes visible in the large prints I am aiming at.

5. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Warning, long and boring. All only IMO and using an EVF.

For birds . sports, etc on a fine day, I use a 300 F/2.8, 500mm F/4.5 and an 800mm F/5.6, get the sun at your back and the entire secret is fast shutter speeds. Very rarely will I shoot under 1/2500. 80-90% I shoot 1/3200 - 1/4000. I often wish I had 1/8000. All lenses are shot wide open. The max ISO I use is ISO 400 on BIF's and sports. In sunshine I've never needed to go over that ISO for the shutter speeds I use.

Can't stress the importance of fast shutter speeds enough !!

So you need darn good lenses so you can shoot wide open. If you need slower speeds, use a tripod. The 300 and 500 I use hand held generally (sometimes on a tripod) and they are a lot more heavy than your 135mm. I always pick lenses that have internal focus and that makes focusing really smooth and easy to focus.

If you are having problems to start out with, get yourself a monopod, not too expensive and they simply work while still being small and fairly light. They do make a difference !!

I use either full manual control or shutter priority, lock the ISO and the shutter speeds. Some people use aperture priority and that's all fine as long as it works for you and gives you the image you want. No right or wrong, just different. As long as it works. Auto ISO I just can't stand.

Peaking I have on medium contrast for the 800mm and the 300mm and 500mm are on low contrast. I prefer yellow. If I plan to stay in the one spot, I will mount them on a tripod, even the 300 and 500, on a perch I use and insist on the magnifying the image to see the sharp feather details in the focus. Using that I expect a 100% keeper rate. BIF's and sports is where focus peaking comes into it and personally I will never go to a camera with out it.

Okay, long and boring but its not an easy answer. If the light drops, use a tripod and always have the histogram in the view. Keep an eye on it at all times.

All the best and sorry its a long one ;)

Danny.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    true but how I can then see how much oof the scene stays in focus and not??? This is also an extra confusion for me... how apperture affects how things are in focus or not.... Tough one.

7. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Hi I will try to comment on those on by one...

-What is a good lens? I have a Auto Revuenon MC 1:2.8 f=135mm . Crappy one?? :p
    -I am trying EVF but.. it does not work well with my glasses... and I can not really see the peaking there... Seriously. Do I only have this problem??
    -Ι can of course use a monopod for reducing the shutter speed.. but what if the subjects move? You also mentioned about birds...
    -How I am gonna handle manual mode, setting iso, keeping camera steady, exposure metering of the scene, focusing with the object of the scene (example a duck) flying around? No chance for me.

8. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    A good legacy lens will always come at an expensive cost, but not like they use to cost years ago. For birding or sports a good option still not cheap, but excellent is a Canon FD 300 F/4L, note the "L". There are two versions of it.

My advice if you really want to get into long tele lenses, spend more on the lens than you do on the camera body ......... IMO. You buy an excellent lens only once, the body will get replaced eventually.

Sorry I don't wear glasses, only for reading so I'm not sure on that one.

Monopod with a ball head is very simple to move and track subjects. Nothing hard there at all to be honest. it helps stabilisation if you need it.

Mode settings, ISO, F/stops, exposure etc, its something you get use to. Put it this way, if you don't do the hard yards, you simply don't get the results...... or get a DSLR with expensive tele lenses. That's the easier way to do it.

Full manual control, manual focus with a Canon FD 500mm (2.5 KG's) hand held on ducks since you mention them and I'm going on 60

DSC04779.

DSC00959.

DSC031881.

DSC02306.

Its a time thing, the most important tools besides a lens and camera are already built into you, patience and stubbornness. Practise like crazy and practise some more. Now if you don't want to go that way, don't even start, because it will frustrate you until it drives you up the wall ;)

The whole thing is at the end of the day, the gear is capable.

All the best.

Danny.

9. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    nice answer. respect!

10. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Btw you implied that my revuenon lens is crappy right? :p
    The last time I was in the park. I was not able to have a decent shutter speed (like 1/160 with an apperture larger than 5) without raising the iso over 800

Alex

11. macro

macro TalkEmount Regular

Feb 3, 2012
    New Zealand
    Danny Young
    Ahhhh, nope. I know nothing about that lens. Not sure where you got that from.

I didn't even mention your lens, its a bit too wide for me. It's probably fine. Canon and Nikon I understand a bit better, but only in the longer focal lengths. I pick lenses I can use wide open at all times.

If you want decent bird shots or sports, I would go with a 300mm lens, anything else is a little short if you want BIF's or to pull in a subject into the frame from a distance. I wouldn't personally go over F/5.6 on any lens, but that's just me and the lenses I use.

Really you just need to practise, try different settings, practise some more, it all comes easier eventually and then you can practise some more ;
    :) and so on.

All the best.

Danny.