1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

seriously considerring selling all my camera gear lenses etc,and it's a considerablke amount

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by gio, May 20, 2014.

1. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    and buying the a7 or a7s when/if it comes about, I'm really getting fed up of the choices that have to be made when going out,I have the alpha 580 and a lot of a mount lenses and the nex 6 with quite a few lenses too,although I have long zooms and primes i rarely ever use them, my favourite lens was the zeiss 16-80 and the tokina 11-18 for the extra width and it suited me to a tee,
    I just feel the need to slim down and concentrate on enjoying my photography again rather than have all the choices, no matter what lenses you bring out you always wish you had brought this or that or the other, has anybody else got this syndrome?.
    what would be the nearest equivalent to these lenses and quality in the full frame lineup ?.

2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Aug 6, 2011
    I do this every once in a while - clean house and focus on the basics. It feels good to do. Sounds like the Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm F4 ZA OSS (SEL2470Z) will be a great choice as your first lens.

3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    will have a look at that Amin,thanks

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    +1

It's been my go-to lens on the A7 since I got it. All of my photos in this thread were taken with it.

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Another (cheaper) option might be to sell your A580 and A-Mount gear as well as the E-Mount stuff you hardly use and start with your NEX-6 as a basis and buy whatever lenses you want for it.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    With legacy lenses being inexpensive, it is easy to go crazy and end up with way to many lenses.

7. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    Not at all. First there is no such thing as too many lenses (of course you may have too many copies of the same lens ...) and secondly it is not a good sport to pay too much for a lens so accumulating a large amount takes time. ;) I am concentrating to M42, PK and Contax lenses and there are just a few legacy lenses I absolutely need at the moment. Unfortunately I don't have much time for photography right now.

I will wait for the 7s price to drop and won't sell my asp-c system anyway.

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Not all legacy lenses are inexpensive :D The excellent ones are rather pricey I'd say...

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I kind of recognize this. At every system switch it turns that I'm a one-system guy. Well, maybe one-and-a-half, I'm not inclined yet to sell my NEX-6 now that I have the A7, although I invariably pack the A7 when I go out. The legacy glass is useable across the two cameras and I don't have FE lenses yet. I agree with Nick, not all legacy glass is cheap and I ended up buying some lenses each costing several hundred euros. Think Minolta 17/4, Olympus shift 35/2.8, that sort of stuff. 50's, 28's, 135's abound and are cheap, once you move outside that range, prices tend to increase steeply. And I'm not even talking about Leica glass.

I sure know about the embarrassment of richess; now that I've collected a whole bunch of Minolta glass. It's not really an option to bring it all, not even a tenth of it :). So I make do with what I have with me, packing my bag for the occasion. I use primes these days and when I use a specific lens for some time I start seeing with its angle of view in mind so I hardly ever get frustrated. It also helps that I've developed a taste for the normal angle of view of a 40mm lens on the A7. Maybe in your case you'll want to limit yourself to a serious wide-angle (21mm on the A7), something around normal and a 100mm or 135mm telephoto. Analyze the focal lengths you used with the 11-18mm and 16-80mm to see where your preferences lie. I did that once and it showed me that I do a lot around 28mm when using the 18-55mm kit lens on the NEX-6, which corresponds to the angle of view of 40-45mm on the A7.

One thing when switching from APS-C to 135 format: depth-of-field vanishes like snow before the sun. I know in theory it shouldn't make such a difference, but to me it does. With ยต4/3 everything is sharp, with APS-C not everything is sharp and on 135 format nothing is sharp except the subject matter I focussed on.

OK, rambled enough, hope this makes any sense :).

• Like Like x 1
  10. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Gio,
    You should do whatever puts a smile on your face and gets you out taking pictures. It should not feel like a burden. Having one system with 2 lenses at "your" focal lengths might help to bring that back in focus.

Sometimes I give myself a challenge to shoot with a particular lens or two rather than bring a whole bunch with me (that way I have fewer regrets for not bringing a certain lens or not being able to change it in time, etc.)

11. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    thanks everybody, it's all good advice and I will pay heed,
    I think I'll go along with spacemanspiff for now and look for that smile, although that 24-70 is tempting mmm, especially after seeing woodworks, goodworks, it looks like the angle of view I migrate to on the 16-80.
    darn it !! , what kind of consumer am I ?, it looks like this is the one,
    how will it shape on the nex 6 ? supposing that I decide to keep this as a back up

12. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Nothing wrong with being a consumer Gio.

I thought woodworks California set was fantastic as well, and I would love to have an A7 with that 24-70 (I seem take a lot of shots at 16mm focal length on my NEX-6), and my MF lenses (so I can use them at their intended focal lengths). The NEX would remain in the line-up with for those occasions when its smaller size or more casual nature trumps IQ.

But it is all about what makes you decide to grab your camera bag and head out, and getting a sense of satisfaction when you capture that image. A new camera or simplifying what you already have...whatever feels good.

13. Dan Euritt

Dan Euritt TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2014
    sometimes lenses that look passable on a crop sensor will show problems on a full-frame sensor... things like field curvature, decentering, etc.

i would hang on to whatever full-frame glass you have for now, then evaluate it on the new camera, before deciding what to do with it.

14. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That is very true. I have a cheap 28mm lens that is pretty good on crop sensor and 135mm too. I imagine that these won't work well on ff sensor. I think that legacy lenses are going to be much more expensive in the future so I would postpone the selling for that reason.