• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

SERENA - my new giant

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Our area is having trouble with coyotes. One of them jumped a neighbor's 6-foot fence and grabbed a small dog in front of the horrified owner. Then a coyote was stalking our fence line looking for a meal. Our aging goldendoodle didn't even notice the coyote.
My wife said to me - "I think we need another big dog to reinforce our Goldendoodle."
We were lucky to coordinate with another rescue organization to find a 3-month old Great Pyrenees puppy. She is a darling and is great with our little dogs. At 40-pounds, she is nowhere near her full size which I guess will be 90-100 pounds. But she is our guardian dog in waiting.
I have started a smugmug gallery at https://rpcrowe.smugmug.com/SERENA/i-hNb72Pq

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I hope she doesn't have to eat any coyotes but, she would be capable of doing so when fully grown... Her size and the presence that the breed shows should deter any coyote from jumping my fence for breakfast or a before bed snack. The first tactic of the Great Pyrenees is to deter Mr. Coyote and make him decide to eat at another place that doesn't have a hundred pound dog on guard.
I had an 85-pound German Shepherd-Golden Retriever-Wolf and I saw her stand off a pack of coyotes who were at the other side of my fence. She made the coyotes think differently about trying to invade my property... Coyotes are not dumb - they know that there should be easier pickings down the road a piece...
It's amazing the first thing she did when I let Serena her out in my property was to patrol the perimeter. That's a pretty strong case for her Guardian Dog Genes when she does that as a 3-months old puppy...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
SERENA_4150.jpg
ILCE-6600    E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS    70mm    f/8.0    1/640s    ISO 6400

Thad E Ginathom

TalkEmount Veteran
Lovely. She looks too kind to eat coyotes.

But animal looks can be deceptive, as in the sweet young lady in my avatar, who is actually a serial killer o_O

Edit... on second thoughts, there's gentle, but don't mess with me in that look. coyotes beware!

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Serena portrait - A7iii high ISO (12,800) experiment with Sony 70-200mm f/4 G OSS lens using manual exposure and auto ISO. Noise reduction using NIK Dfine...
SERENA_4379.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS    121mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 12800
SERENA_4385.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS    198mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 12800
SERENA_4398.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS    186mm    f/6.3    1/400s    ISO 12800

Latest posts

Top Bottom