• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Serena at about 50-pounds

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
She's still a puppy at six-months old but, at about 50-pounds, she might be formidable to any intruder... But just wait until she doubles her present weight:eek:

Attachments

• SERENA_5046.jpg
    SERENA_5046.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 22
  • SERENA_5053.jpg
    SERENA_5053.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 23

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
"She doesn't look as though she would hurt anyone .... yet!"

The Great Pyrenees is known as a "safe" guardian dog... They are generally not biters, preferring to use their massive size and ferocious demeanor to discourage intruders - animal or human.

At six months and fifty pounds, she is beginning to look like a guardian dog!
SERENA_5101.jpg
ILCE-7M3    FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS    200mm    f/4.0    1/1000s    ISO 1000

However, they are brave and formidable dogs with immense jaw strength - capable of breaking the back of a coyote with a single bite. The Pyr has a deep collar of fur around its neck. It is difficult to grab the dog by the collar because of the mane of fur. However, it is advantageous in a fight against a wolf or coyote (no wolves where I live but, there are the occasional lone coyotes coming around looking for a meal) because the mane would be difficult for the teeth of the predator to penetrate, AND OF COURSE, while the predator is trying to bite its neck, the Pyrenees isn't going to be just standing there.

My property is enclosed by a tall chain link fence with coyote rollers on top. However, I doubt very much if a coyote would climb the fence knowing that a 90-100 pound aggressively posturing dog is on the other side.

Serena makes a search around the perimeter of the property, before she even relieves herself, when she goes out in the morning .

Only then, when she has satisfied herself that "her property" is secure, it's potty time...

Last edited:

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
She loves to play hard
SERENA and DUKE PLAYING_5374.jpg
ILCE-6600    E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS    70mm    f/6.3    1/800s    ISO 3200

But, she never hurts her playmate
SERENA and DUKE PLAYING_5413.jpg
ILCE-6600    E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS    167mm    f/6.3    1/640s    ISO 3200

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
The other night indicated what it is like to have a "guardian" dog. Serena barks very little for a Great Pyrenees. The breed is well known as excessive barkers but, she will bark a bit just to let any potential threat know she is guarding "HER" property.
However when I took all of our little dogs out with Serena for their last potty break of the night, Serena sensed something on the other side of the fence. Rather than just her usual "I am here" bark, she started a full rage bark and snarl. It sounded like "Climb that fence and I'll kill you!".
The little dogs gathered behind Serena and when I opened the door, they all ran into the house. Serena retreated slowly barking all the while, like she was covering the little dog's retreat. Only when the last little dog was in the house did Serena come in.
I don't know if there was a coyote or some other critter on the other side of the fence but, if it was a coyote - it was smart enough not to approach the fence closely much less climb the fence...
Serena earned her treats than evening...

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
This is MY HOUSE - enter at your peril unless mom or dad invites you in... BTW: I'm gaining a few pounds each week...
SERENA LOOKING OUT DOOR_5620.jpg
ILCE-6600    E 28-75mm F2.8-2.8    75mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 320

Latest posts

Top Bottom