1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sensor cleaning equipment

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Jazzer, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    I have a rocket blower, but are there recommendations for something for the next step(s) of removing dust? I was looking at the Copper Hill sensor sweep brush and also at the lenspen Sensor Klear II.

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    mine

I have one of these, and it helps get the pesky dust off.

[​IMG]

But it makes me very nervous messing around in there.

3. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks. That looks similar to the regular lens pen that I have for lenses. Is that for sensor use?

And I understand the nervous feeling :)

4. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Not saying that you can't, but I personally don't like to touch the sensor surface with anything or even use a blower of any sort near it because even rushing air can create static. If there's a spec of dust I'd just activate the built-in sensor cleaning vibration thingy.

I've never had to do this purposely on my 5N yet, I'm assuming it has one built-in. I've heard it go on every now and then during shut off (well I'm hoping that's what the strange noise was anyway, lol). :)

5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Can someone explain this function? I'm curious about this too - saw it in the menu but actually never tried it (I got scared that something bad would happen, lol :D)

6. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I've yet need to clean sensors of any of my mirror-less cameras, the built-in sensor cleaning works fine so far.
    When I needed to deal with the sensor dust problem of my DSLR (a Nikon D7000), I used Giottos Rocket blower first, then Opteka pre-moistened sensor cleaning swab to good effect. You're not supposed to reuse the swab.
    I don't recommend using the lenspen (either the pen or the brush) for sensor cleaning. If you must, you better not reuse. Otherwise, you can potentially get more dust.

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    It vibrates the sensor at ultra-high frequency and any dust particles on the sensor are dislodged.

Dust particles are so small and lightweight that they often latch on to surfaces due to static or humidity in the air. The first remedy to use is the built-in sensor cleaner as 99% of dust particles should come off.

In certain cases that I know of (a DSLR brand in my country) will void the sensor warranty if the sensor has been 'handled' in any way shape of form by a non-authorized service technician. I don't know what the story is with the NEX though...

8. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Am I missing something? Does anyone else see the video when you click on the link? :confused:

9. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    and use the right products to clean the sensor, a blower is the fast solucion, let me say something, several weeks ago my brother took the nex5n to take some pictures with his friends in the park, neart to beach, for BBQ and one of those guys l eft open the sensor for a few minutes, so it was a hot and dusty day, they were near the beach, so when he got home my nex5 was dusty so I charge the battery to 100% and put into cleaning mode at first I was a little scared since after that nothing happened, according to me , because didn't hear anything cleaning so then later I use compressed gas, dust cleaner than usually use to clean my iphone, laptop. But this time I think did something wrong because after that, the sensor seemed a bit faded with small spots but not affect anything in the pictures, so I held until got wet and changed it a few days ago, be careful fellow don't do something improper, the sensor is very delicate.