Send new Tamron to them to adjust or to B&H for replacement?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Apr 26, 2016.

1. GabrielPhoto

GabrielPhoto TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I am testing a new Tamron lens and while testing I noticed that at 15mm the edges wouldnt get sharp even at F8 unlike tested on some reviews.
    I sent Tamron some photos and they acknowledged the issue and told me they just need to adjust/align it. Heck, the guy even told me I could send my camera to get it perfectly matched to it. Not like I am sending my A7Rii on that trip but still interesting service.
    Anyways, I feel it makes more sense to me to send it to Tamron and get a hopefully "perfect" lens vs sending back to B&H and hope for a better copy.
    What do you guys think?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd send it (without the camera :biggrin:) to Tamron.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here :)

4. GabrielPhoto

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks guys. Would be an interesting test of their customer support too. I will hold on about my review for this lens until I get the lens back then. :)

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur Subscribing Member

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far your experience is already way better than what I've encountered with a number of decentered lenses: Sony, Nikon and Panasonic refused to acknowledge, invariably stating that the lens was "within specification". Mind you, that specification isn't public. I agree with the others, send the lens to Tamron for repair.

I'm very curious how you will fare with this. Would you care to post some full-res samples with the defect? I'd like to see how bad it is compared to the defects I tried to get dealt with.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Also it would be useful to see how the issue is fixed after the repair. Perhaps post a photo showing the issue and one after the repair?

Is Tamron charging for such a repair?

7. GabrielPhoto

Jul 3, 2013
    I was unfortunate to receive the lens and by the time I had free time from work the weather was horrible but I will share the few ones I was able to take to test (the ones I sent them) and then try to take images from the same area when I get it back.

I did not have to pay to send it back this time because it was a special situation of receiving the lens like this brand new not like something that happened during use. Normally you cover the shipping their way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GabrielPhoto

Jul 3, 2013
    You can download the rar file I sent them with different samples at F2.8 and F8 at 15mm and 30mm from here:
    https://db.tt/lPMUBAIQ

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.