1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Send new Tamron to them to adjust or to B&H for replacement?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Apr 26, 2016.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    So I am testing a new Tamron lens and while testing I noticed that at 15mm the edges wouldnt get sharp even at F8 unlike tested on some reviews.
    I sent Tamron some photos and they acknowledged the issue and told me they just need to adjust/align it. Heck, the guy even told me I could send my camera to get it perfectly matched to it. Not like I am sending my A7Rii on that trip but still interesting service.
    Anyways, I feel it makes more sense to me to send it to Tamron and get a hopefully "perfect" lens vs sending back to B&H and hope for a better copy.
    What do you guys think?

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I'd send it (without the camera :biggrin:) to Tamron.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here :)

4. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks guys. Would be an interesting test of their customer support too. I will hold on about my review for this lens until I get the lens back then. :)

5. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    So far your experience is already way better than what I've encountered with a number of decentered lenses: Sony, Nikon and Panasonic refused to acknowledge, invariably stating that the lens was "within specification". Mind you, that specification isn't public. I agree with the others, send the lens to Tamron for repair.

I'm very curious how you will fare with this. Would you care to post some full-res samples with the defect? I'd like to see how bad it is compared to the defects I tried to get dealt with.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Also it would be useful to see how the issue is fixed after the repair. Perhaps post a photo showing the issue and one after the repair?

Is Tamron charging for such a repair?

7. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    I was unfortunate to receive the lens and by the time I had free time from work the weather was horrible but I will share the few ones I was able to take to test (the ones I sent them) and then try to take images from the same area when I get it back.

I did not have to pay to send it back this time because it was a special situation of receiving the lens like this brand new not like something that happened during use. Normally you cover the shipping their way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    You can download the rar file I sent them with different samples at F2.8 and F8 at 15mm and 30mm from here:
    https://db.tt/lPMUBAIQ

• Like Like x 1