1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SELP1650 vs. SEL24F18Z shootout

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WoodWorks, Sep 30, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    OK, I know this is an unfair fight. But I was bored, and had no work to do, so I went out and shot a comparison between the SELP1650 kit zoom and the SEL24F18Z prime. I set up the NEX-6 using a 2-sec. timer on a tripod, ISO 100, Daylight WB, raw files, processed in Lightroom 4 with the built-in lens profiles. I zoomed the SELP1650 to 24mm (which made the aperture f/4.5 wide open), and limited the test to f/4.5, f/5.6, and f/8 because, well, even I only have so much time to waste.

This is the scene:

Wide.

And here are the center, bottom left, and mid-right crops:

165024C.

165024MC.

Except for the extreme corners, I think that the SELP1650 didn't do too badly.

• Like Like x 6
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks for the interesting comparison shots. I never checked how good/bad my 16-50mm is so it is good to know:)

3. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    That 16-50mm really sucks in the corners at larger apertures but looks useable at f/8. I'm not impressed by what the 24/1.8 does in the upper right corner at f/4.5; I would have expected almost perfect sharpness there and it's only becomes good but not great at f/8. Maybe, just maybe, I'm a little bit unfair: for a 24mm 1:1.8 of about € 900 I expect nothing less than breathtaking performance straight from f/1.8, I'd only accept corner unsharpness until f/2.8 and it should be razor sharp across the frame beyond that.

BTW, this way of testing is very informative IMHO, thanks for these. I'm looking forward to your next moment of boredom.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Be careful what you wish for. ;)

5. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    As somebody who shot about a 100 thousand photos with this lens (well, probably less, but it feels like that much) I can tell you it's not the right corner (or mid-right, as it's not even close to the edge of the image) but rather the distance. The 24mm Sonnar is calculated to deliver stunning performance in close to mid distances (and it does!), but it's not great at infinity distances. That's rather bad since I use it mainly for landscapes, but I never found the performance unacceptable. If you use it mainly for street photography or something similar that seldom needs distances greater than 25 meters, you wouldn't have any doubt about its performance.

And - thanks for the comparison, both lenses performed as expected.

6. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Well, that's good to know, it's not for me then because landscapes are the subjects I want really good performance for. Acceptable performance is fine for a € 150 lens but not for a € 900 one, but that may be just me :).

7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Nah, I won't disagree here. But the performance isn't bad in any way, and you know, with good color rendering and some post processing, I'm totally happy with it - and I'm not going out to shell out another grand for a 24mm lens anyway. ;) The good news is the performance at infinity isn't worse at f/1.8 than at f/4.5 shown here - it simply doesn't get better from stopping down until about f/5.6.

• Like Like x 2